Section 955.15 | Impounding dogs.
(A) The board of county commissioners shall provide nets and other suitab le devices for the taking of dogs in a humane manner, provide a suitable place for impounding dogs, make proper provision for feeding and caring for the same, and provide humane methods for destroying dogs.
(B) Subject to division (C) of this section, the dog warden shall deliver any dog that the warden or the warden's deputies have seized to one of the following:
(1) A dog pound operated by the county;
(2) Another animal shelter for dogs, as defined in section 956.01 of the Revised Code, that operates in a manner suitable for a dog pound and that is able to adopt out, transfer out, or humanely destroy dogs in accordance with state law.
(C) A dog warden shall not deliver dogs to an animal shelter for dogs under division (B)(2) of this section unless the board of county commissioners has entered into a written agreement with the animal shelter for dogs to operate as a dog pound on behalf of the county.
(D) A pound or animal shelter for dogs to which a dog has been delivered under division (B) of this section shall deal with the dog in accordance with state law, including the maintenance of any public records pertaining to the intake and disposition of the dog.
(E) The board shall provide for the payment of reasonable compensation to an animal shelter for dogs described in division (B)(2) of this section for its services so performed out of the dog and kennel fund or the county's general revenue fund.
(F) The board may designate and appoint any officers regularly employed by any society organized under sections 1717.02 to 1717.05 of the Revised Code, to act as county dog warden or deputies for the purpose of carrying out sections 955.01 to 955.27 of the Revised Code, if such society whose agents are so employed owns or controls a suitable place for keeping and destroying dogs.
Last updated July 15, 2021 at 1:29 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- October 1, 1953 – House Bill 1 - 100th General Assembly [ View October 1, 1953 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]