Section 955.43 | Dogs with blind, deaf or mobility impaired person.
(A) When a person who is blind, deaf, or hearing impaired, a person with a mobility impairment, or a trainer of an assistance dog is accompanied by an assistance dog, the person or trainer, as applicable, is entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, and privileges of all public conveyances, hotels, lodging places, all places of public accommodation, amusement, or resort, all institutions of education, and other places to which the general public is invited, and may take the dog into such conveyances and places, subject only to the conditions and limitations applicable to all persons not so accompanied, except that:
(1) The dog shall not occupy a seat in any public conveyance.
(2) The dog shall be upon a leash while using the facilities of a common carrier.
(3) Any dog in training to become an assistance dog shall be covered by a liability insurance policy provided by the nonprofit special agency engaged in such work protecting members of the public against personal injury or property damage caused by the dog.
(B) No person shall deprive a person who is blind, deaf, or hearing impaired, a person who has a mobility impairment, or a trainer of an assistance dog when the person or trainer, as applicable, is accompanied by an assistance dog of any of the advantages, facilities, or privileges provided in division (A) of this section, and no person shall charge the person or trainer a fee or charge for the dog.
(C) As used in this section, "institutions of education" means:
(1) Any state university or college as defined in section 3345.32 of the Revised Code;
(2) Any private college or university that holds a certificate of authorization issued by the Ohio board of regents pursuant to Chapter 1713. of the Revised Code;
(3) Any elementary or secondary school operated by a board of education;
(4) Any chartered or nonchartered nonpublic elementary or secondary school;
(5) Any school issued a certificate of registration by the state board of career colleges and schools.
Last updated March 10, 2023 at 11:06 AM