Section 103.14 | Fiscal analysis prepared by legislative budget office.
(A) If a bill introduced in the general assembly appears to affect the revenues or expenditures of the state, a county, municipal corporation, township, school district, or other governmental entity of the state, the Ohio legislative budget office of the Ohio legislative service commission shall, before the bill is recommended for passage by the house committee or the senate committee of the general assembly to which the bill was referred and again before the bill is taken up for final consideration by either house of the general assembly, prepare a fiscal analysis of the bill or resolution. The fiscal analysis shall include an estimate, in dollars, of the amount by which the bill would increase or decrease revenues or expenditures and any other information the Ohio legislative budget office considers necessary to explain the fiscal effect of the bill or resolution.
(B) The Ohio legislative budget office shall distribute copies of a fiscal analysis in accordance with either of the following:
(1) For consideration by the senate or house rules committee, or the standing committee to which a bill is referred, two copies to the chairman together with a copy to each member of the committee;
(2) For final consideration, a copy to each member of the house that is considering the bill.
If the member who introduced the bill or resolution is not a member of the house or rules committee considering the bill, the Ohio legislative budget office shall send him a copy.
(C) In preparing a fiscal analysis the Ohio legislative budget office may request any department, division, institution, board, commission, authority, bureau, or other instrumentality or officer of the state, a county, municipal corporation, township, school district, or other governmental entity of the state to provide any of the following information:
(1) An estimate, in dollars, of the amount by which the bill or resolution would increase or decrease the revenues or expenditures received or made by the instrumentality, officer, or entity;
(2) Any other information the Ohio legislative budget office considers necessary for it to understand or explain the fiscal effect of the bill.
An instrumentality, officer, or entity shall comply with a request as soon as reasonably possible after it receives the request. The Ohio legislative budget office shall specify the manner of compliance in its request, and if necessary may specify a longer period of time than five days for compliance. The Ohio legislative budget office may consider any information provided under this division in preparing a fiscal analysis.
(D) The failure of the Ohio legislative budget office to prepare a fiscal analysis before a bill or resolution is taken up for consideration by the house or senate committees, or by either or both houses for final consideration shall not be construed to impair the validity of any bill passed by either or both houses of the general assembly.
Available Versions of this Section
- November 23, 1977 – Senate Bill 221, 112th General Assembly [ View November 23, 1977 Version ]