Section 122.74 | Director of development - powers and duties.
(A)(1) The director of development shall do all of the following:
(a) Receive applications for assistance under sections 122.71 to 122.83 and 122.87 to 122.89 of the Revised Code and applications from surety companies for bond guarantees under section 122.90 of the Revised Code, and, after processing but subject to division (A)(2) of this section, forward them to the minority development financing advisory board together with necessary supporting information;
(b) Receive the recommendations of the board and make a final determination whether to approve the application for assistance;
(c) Receive recommendations from a regional economic development entity for loans made under section 122.76 of the Revised Code and make a final determination, notwithstanding divisions (A)(1) and (2) of this section, whether to approve the proposed loan;
(d) Transmit the director's determinations to approve assistance to the controlling board unless such assistance falls under section 122.90 of the Revised Code and has been previously approved by the controlling board, together with any information the controlling board requires for its review and decision as to whether to approve the assistance.
(2) The director is not required to submit any determination, data, terms, or any other application materials or information to the minority development financing advisory board when provision of the assistance has been recommended to the director by a regional economic development entity or when an application for a surety company for bond guarantees under section 122.90 of the Revised Code has been previously approved by the controlling board.
(B) The director may do all of the following:
(1) Fix the rate of interest and charges to be made upon or with respect to moneys loaned or guaranteed by the director and the terms upon which mortgages and lease rentals may be guaranteed and the rates of charges to be made for them and make provisions for the operation of the funds established by the director in accordance with this section and sections 122.80, 122.88, and 122.90 of the Revised Code;
(2) Loan and guarantee moneys from the fund established in accordance with section 122.80 of the Revised Code pursuant to and in compliance with sections 122.71 to 122.83 and 122.87 to 122.90 of the Revised Code.
(3) Acquire in the name of the director any property of any kind or character in accordance with sections 122.71 to 122.83 and 122.87 to 122.90 of the Revised Code, by purchase, purchase at foreclosure, or exchange on such terms and in such manner as the director considers proper;
(4) Make and enter into all contracts and agreements necessary or incidental to the performance of the director's duties and the exercise of the director's powers under sections 122.71 to 122.83 and 122.87 to 122.90 of the Revised Code;
(5) Maintain, protect, repair, improve, and insure any property that the director has acquired and dispose of it by sale, exchange, or lease for the consideration and on the terms and in the manner as the director considers proper, but the director shall not operate any such property as a business except as the lessor of it;
(6)(a) When the cost of any contract for the maintenance, protection, repair, or improvement of any property held by the director, other than compensation for personal services, involves an expenditure of more than fifty thousand dollars, the director shall make a written contract with the lowest responsive and responsible bidder in accordance with section 9.312 of the Revised Code after advertisement for not less than two consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the county where such contract, or some substantial part of it, is to be performed, and in such other publications as the director determines, which notice shall state the general character of the work and the general character of the materials to be furnished, the place where plans and specifications therefor may be examined, and the time and place of receiving bids.
(b) Each bid for a contract for the construction, demolition, alteration, repair, or reconstruction of an improvement shall contain the full name of every person interested in it and meet the requirements of section 153.54 of the Revised Code.
(c) Each bid for a contract, except as provided in division (B)(6)(b) of this section, shall contain the full name of every person interested in it and shall be accompanied by bond or certified check on a solvent bank, in such amount as the director considers sufficient, that if the bid is accepted a contract will be entered into and the performance of the proposal secured.
(d) The director may reject any and all bids.
(e) A bond with good and sufficient surety, approved by the director, shall be required of every contractor awarded a contract except as provided in division (B)(6)(b) of this section, in an amount equal to at least fifty per cent of the contract price, conditioned upon faithful performance of the contract.
(7) Employ or contract with financial consultants, appraisers, consulting engineers, superintendents, managers, construction and accounting experts, attorneys, and other employees and agents as are necessary in the director's judgment and fix their compensation;
(8) Receive and accept grants, gifts, and contributions of money, property, labor, and other things of value to be held, used, and applied only for the purpose for which the grants, gifts, and contributions are made, from individuals, private and public corporations, from the United States or any agency thereof, from the state or any agency thereof, and from any political subdivision of the state, and may agree to repay any contribution of money or to return any property contributed or the value thereof at such times, in amounts, and on terms and conditions, excluding the payment of interest, as the director determines at the time the contribution is made, and may evidence the obligations by notes, bonds, or other written instruments;
(C)(1) All expenses and obligations incurred by the director in carrying out the director's powers and in exercising the director's duties under sections 122.71 to 122.83 and 122.87 to 122.90 of the Revised Code shall be payable solely from revenues or other receipts or income of the director, from grants, gifts, and contributions, or funds established in accordance with such sections. Such sections do not authorize the director to incur indebtedness or to impose liability on the state or any political subdivision of the state.
(2) Financial statements and other data submitted to the director by any corporation, partnership, or person in connection with financial assistance provided under sections 122.71 to 122.83 and 122.87 to 122.90 of the Revised Code, or any information taken from such statements or data for any purpose, shall not be open to public inspection.
Last updated July 20, 2021 at 10:11 AM