Section 125.834 | State vehicles to be capable of using alternative fuels.
(A) The department of administrative services shall ensure that all new motor vehicles acquired by the state for use by state agencies under section 125.832 of the Revised Code are capable of using alternative fuels. A state agency that is acquiring new motor vehicles under division (G)(1) of section 125.832 of the Revised Code shall report annually, in a manner prescribed by the director of administrative services, the number of new motor vehicles acquired by the state agency and the number of those motor vehicles that are capable of using alternative fuel.
(B) The department shall not purchase or lease, or authorize the purchase or lease by a state agency of, any motor vehicles that are incapable of using alternative fuels, unless one or more of the following apply:
(1) The department or state agency is unable to acquire or operate motor vehicles within the cost limitations described in rules adopted under division (D) of this section.
(2) The use of alternative fuels would not meet the energy conservation and exhaust emissions criteria described in rules adopted under division (D) of this section.
(3) An emergency exists or exigent circumstances exist, as determined by the department of administrative services.
(C) All motor vehicles owned or leased by the state that are capable of using an alternative fuel shall use an alternative fuel if the fuel is reasonably available at a reasonable price. The director of administrative services, under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt rules to implement the fuel use requirement of this division, and the directors and heads of all state departments and agencies shall issue a directive to all state employees who use state motor vehicles informing them of the fuel use requirement. The directive shall instruct state employees to purchase alternative fuels at retail fuel facilities whenever possible.
As used in this division, "motor vehicle" has the same meaning as in section 125.831 of the Revised Code and also includes all on-road and off-road vehicles powered by diesel fuel, regardless of gross vehicle weight.
(D) The director of administrative services shall adopt and may amend, under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, rules that include both of the following:
(1) Requirements for state agencies in the procurement of alternative fuels and motor vehicles capable of using alternative fuels, and cost limitations for the acquisition and operation of such vehicles;
(2) Energy conservation and exhaust emissions criteria for motor vehicles capable of using alternative fuels.