Section 1545.041 | Conversion of township park district - resolution.
(A) Any township park district created pursuant to section 511.18 of the Revised Code that includes park land located outside the township in which the park district was established may be converted under the procedures provided in this section into a park district to be operated and maintained as provided for in this chapter, provided that there is no existing park district created under section 1545.04 of the Revised Code in the county in which the township park district is located. The proposed park district shall include within its boundary all townships and municipal corporations in which lands owned by the township park district seeking conversion are located, and may include any other townships and municipal corporations in the county in which the township park district is located.
(B) Conversion of a township park district into a park district operated and maintained under this chapter shall be initiated by a resolution adopted by the board of park commissioners of the park district. Any resolution initiating a conversion shall include the following:
(1) The name of the township park district seeking conversion;
(2) The name of the proposed park district;
(3) An accurate description of the territory to be included in the proposed district;
(4) An accurate map or plat of the proposed park district. The resolution may also include a proposed tax levy for the operation and maintenance of the proposed park district. If such a tax levy is proposed, the resolution shall specify the annual rate of the tax, expressed in dollars for each one hundred thousand dollars of the county auditor's appraised value and in mills for each dollar of taxable value, and the number of consecutive years the levy will be in effect. The annual rate of such a tax may not be higher than the total combined millage of all levies then in effect for the benefit of the township park district named in the resolution.
(C) Upon adoption of the resolution provided for in division (B) of this section, the board of park commissioners of the township park district seeking conversion under this section shall certify the resolution to the county auditor, who shall certify to the board the information required for a tax levy under section 5705.03 of the Revised Code, in the same manner as required under that section.
The board shall certify the resolution and the county auditor's certification to the board of elections of the county in which the park district is located no later than four p.m. of the seventy-fifth day before the day of the election at which the question will be voted upon. Upon certification of the resolution to the board, the board of elections shall make the necessary arrangements to submit the question of conversion of the township park into a park district operated and maintained under Chapter 1545. of the Revised Code, to the electors qualified to vote at the next primary or general election who reside in the territory of the proposed park district. The question shall provide for a tax levy if such a levy is specified in the resolution.
(D) The ballot submitted to the electors as provided in division (C) of this section shall contain the following language:
"Shall the _______________ (name of the township park district seeking conversion) be converted into a park district to be operated and maintained under Chapter 1545. of the Revised Code under the name of _______________ (name of proposed park district), which park district shall include the following townships and municipal corporations:
(Name townships and municipal corporations)
Approval of the proposed conversion will result in the termination of all existing tax levies voted for the benefit of _______________ (name of the township park district sought to be converted) and in the levy of a new tax for the operation and maintenance of ______________ (name of proposed park district), that the county auditor estimates will collect $_____ annually, at a rate not exceeding _________ mills for each $1 of taxable value, which amounts to $_________ for each $100,000 of the county auditor's appraised value, for _____ (number of years the millage is to be imposed) years, commencing on the ______ (year) tax duplicate.
(E) If the proposed conversion is approved by at least a majority of the electors voting on the proposal, the township park district that seeks conversion shall become a park district subject to Chapter 1545. of the Revised Code effective the first day of January following approval by the voters. The park district shall have the name specified in the resolution, and effective the first day of January following approval by the voters, the following shall occur:
(1) The indebtedness of the former township park district shall be assumed by the new park district;
(2) All rights, assets, properties, and other interests of the former township park district shall become vested in the new park district, including the rights to any tax revenues previously vested in the former township park district; provided, that all tax levies in excess of the ten mill limitation approved for the benefit of the former township park district shall be removed from the tax lists after the February settlement next succeeding the conversion. Any tax levy approved in connection with the conversion shall be certified as provided in section 5705.25 of the Revised Code.
(3) The members of the board of park commissioners of the former township park district shall be the members of the board of park commissioners of the new park district, with all the same powers and duties as if appointed under section 1545.05 of the Revised Code. The term of each such commissioner shall expire on the first day of January of the year following the year in which his term would have expired under section 511.19 of the Revised Code. Thereafter, commissioners shall be appointed pursuant to section 1545.05 of the Revised Code.
As used in this section, "the county auditor's appraised value" has the same meaning as in section 5705.01 of the Revised Code.
Last updated July 15, 2022 at 8:47 AM