Section 163.54 | Additional payments to displaced person displaced from dwelling owned 90 days or more.
(A) In addition to payments otherwise authorized by sections 163.51 to 163.62 of the Revised Code, the head of the displacing agency shall make an additional payment not to exceed thirty-one thousand dollars to any displaced person who is displaced from a dwelling actually owned and occupied by the displaced person for not less than ninety days prior to the initiation of negotiations for the acquisition of the property. Such additional payment shall include the following elements:
(1) The amount, if any, which when added to the acquisition cost of the dwelling acquired by the displacing agency, equals the reasonable cost of a comparable replacement dwelling.
(2) The amount, if any, which will compensate the displaced person for any increased interest costs and other debt service costs which the person is required to pay for financing the acquisition of a comparable replacement dwelling. This amount shall be paid only if the dwelling acquired by the displacing agency was encumbered by a bona fide mortgage which was a valid lien on the dwelling for not less than ninety days prior to the initiation of negotiations for the acquisition of the dwelling.
(3) Reasonable expenses incurred by the displaced person for evidence of title, recording fees, and other closing costs incident to the purchase of the replacement dwelling, but not including prepaid expenses.
(4) A rental assistance payment for a displaced person who is eligible for a replacement housing payment under this section but who elects to rent a replacement dwelling. The amount of the rental assistance payment shall be based on a determination of market rent for the acquired dwelling compared to a comparable rental dwelling available on the market in the general area of the acquired dwelling. The difference, if any, shall be computed in accordance with division (A) of section 163.55 of the Revised Code, except the limit of seven thousand two hundred dollars shall not apply. Under no circumstances shall the rental assistance payment exceed the amount that the displaced person could have received under division (A)(1) of this section. A displaced person who is eligible to receive a replacement housing payment under this section is not eligible for a down payment assistance payment described in division (B) of section 163.55 of the Revised Code.
(B) The additional payment authorized by this section shall be made only to a displaced person who purchases and occupies a replacement dwelling which is decent, safe, and sanitary not later than the end of the one-year period beginning on the date on which the displaced person receives from the displacing agency final payment of all costs of the acquired dwelling, or on the date on which the displacing agency's obligation under division (B)(3) of section 163.56 of the Revised Code is met, whichever is later, except that the displacing agency may extend the period for good cause. If the period is extended, the payment under this section shall be based on the costs of relocating the person to a comparable replacement dwelling within one year after the displaced person receives from the displacing agency final payment of all costs of the acquired dwelling.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 15, 2014 – House Bill 483, 130th General Assembly [ View September 15, 2014 Version ]