Section 163.56 | Resolving problems associated with displacement.
(A)(1) Projects or programs that cause persons to be displaced persons shall be planned in a manner that recognizes, at an early stage in the planning of such programs or projects and before the commencement of any actions that will cause displacements, the problems associated with the displacement of individuals, families, businesses, and farm operations, and in a manner that provides for the resolution of such problems in order to minimize adverse impacts on displaced persons and to expedite program or project advancement and completion.
(2) Whenever a program or project undertaken by a displacing agency will result in the displacement of any person, the head of the displacing agency shall provide a relocation assistance advisory program for displaced persons which shall offer the services described in division (B) of this section. If the head of the displacing agency determines that any person occupying property immediately adjacent to the real property acquired is caused substantial economic injury because of the acquisition, he may offer that person relocation advisory services under the program.
(B) Each relocation assistance advisory program required by division (A) of this section shall include such measures, facilities, or services as may be necessary or appropriate in order to do all of the following:
(1) Determine the need, if any, of displaced persons for relocation assistance;
(2) Provide current and continuing information on the availability, prices, and rentals, of comparable decent, safe, and sanitary sales and rental housing, and of suitable commercial properties and locations for displaced businesses and farm operations;
(3) Assure that, within a reasonable period of time, prior to displacement there will be available comparable replacement dwellings, as defined by the head of the displacing agency, equal in number to the number of and available to the displaced persons who require such dwellings, except that the head of the displacing agency may prescribe by regulation situations when such assurances may be waived;
(4) Assist a displaced person displaced from his business or farm operation in obtaining and becoming established in a suitable replacement location;
(5) Supply information concerning federal and state housing programs, disaster loan programs, and other federal or state programs offering assistance to displaced persons;
(6) Provide other advisory services to displaced persons in order to minimize hardships to them in adjusting to relocation.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 21, 1989 – House Bill 295, 118th General Assembly [ View March 21, 1989 Version ]