Skip to main content
Back To Top Top Back To Top
The Legislative Service Commission staff updates the Revised Code on an ongoing basis, as it completes its act review of enacted legislation. Updates may be slower during some times of the year, depending on the volume of enacted legislation.

Section 163.57 | Replacement housing.


(A) If a project cannot proceed to actual construction because comparable replacement sale or rental housing is not available, and the head of the displacing agency determines that such housing cannot otherwise be made available, he may take such action as is necessary or appropriate to provide such housing by use of funds authorized for such project. The head of the displacing agency may use this section to exceed the maximum amounts which may be paid under sections 163.54 and 163.55 of the Revised Code on a case-by-case basis for good cause as determined in accordance with rules adopted under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code by the head of the lead agency.

(B) No person shall be required to move from his dwelling on account of any project, unless the displacing agency head is satisfied that replacement housing, in accordance with section 163.56 of the Revised Code, is available to such person.

(C) The acquisition of replacement housing sites and the acquisition, rehabilitation, relocation, and construction of replacement housing shall be considered to be for a public purpose, and displacing agencies may properly expend their respective funds to carry out the purposes of sections 163.51 to 163.62 of the Revised Code.

(D) In order to prevent unnecessary expenses and duplications of functions, and to promote uniform and effective administration of relocation assistance programs for displaced persons under sections 163.51 to 163.62 of the Revised Code, a displacing agency may enter into contracts with any individual, firm, association, or corporation for services in connection with such programs, or may carry out its functions under sections 163.51 to 163.62 of the Revised Code through any federal or state governmental agency or instrumentality having an established organization for conducting relocation assistance programs. The displacing agency shall, in carrying out the relocation assistance activities described in this section, whenever practicable, utilize the services of state or local housing agencies, or other agencies having experience in the administration or conduct of similar housing assistance activities.

Available Versions of this Section