Section 2315.20 | Evidence of benefits to plaintiff from collateral sources.
(A) In any tort action, the defendant may introduce evidence of any amount payable as a benefit to the plaintiff as a result of the damages that result from an injury, death, or loss to person or property that is the subject of the claim upon which the action is based, except if the source of collateral benefits has a mandatory self-effectuating federal right of subrogation, a contractual right of subrogation, or a statutory right of subrogation or if the source pays the plaintiff a benefit that is in the form of a life insurance payment or a disability payment. However, evidence of the life insurance payment or disability payment may be introduced if the plaintiff's employer paid for the life insurance or disability policy, and the employer is a defendant in the tort action.
(B) If the defendant elects to introduce evidence described in division (A) of this section, the plaintiff may introduce evidence of any amount that the plaintiff has paid or contributed to secure the plaintiff's right to receive the benefits of which the defendant has introduced evidence.
(C) A source of collateral benefits of which evidence is introduced pursuant to division (A) of this section shall not recover any amount against the plaintiff nor shall it be subrogated to the rights of the plaintiff against a defendant.
(D) As used in this section:
(1) "Tort action" means a civil action for damages for injury, death, or loss to person or property. "Tort action" includes a civil action upon a product liability claim and an asbestos claim. "Tort action" does not include a civil action upon a medical claim, dental claim, optometric claim, or chiropractic claim or a civil action for damages for a breach of contract or another agreement between persons.
(2) "Medical claim," "dental claim," "optometric claim," and "chiropractic claim" have the same meanings as in section 2305.113 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Product liability claim" has the same meaning as in section 2307.71 of the Revised Code.
(4) "Asbestos claim" has the same meaning as in section 2307.91 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- April 7, 2005 – Senate Bill 80 - 125th General Assembly [ View April 7, 2005 Version ]