Section 2903.32 | Female genital mutilation.
(A)(1) No person shall knowingly circumcise, excise, or infibulate any part of the labia majora or labia minora or clitoris of another person who is under the age of eighteen.
(2) No person shall knowingly transport a minor to a facility or location for the purpose of facilitating the commission of an offense prohibited by division (A)(1) of this section.
(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of female genital mutilation, a felony of the second degree. In addition to any prison term authorized by section 2929.14 of the Revised Code and any fine authorized by section 2929.18 of the Revised Code, the court shall impose on the offender an additional fine of up to twenty-five thousand dollars.
(C) This section does not apply to a procedure performed for medical purposes if the act is performed by a physician or licensed health care professional and the act is within the scope of the actor's license.
(D) None of the following are defenses to a violation of this section:
(1) Cultural or ritual necessity;
(2) Consent of the minor;
(3) Consent of the parent or guardian of the minor.
(E) As used in this section:
(1) "Physician" means a person authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery.
(2) "Licensed health care professional" means an individual, other than a physician, who is authorized under Title XLVII of the Revised Code to practice a health care profession.
Available Versions of this Section
- April 5, 2019 – Enacted by Senate Bill 214 - 132nd General Assembly [ View April 5, 2019 Version ]