Section 2953.80 | Criteria for testing authority.
(A) The attorney general shall not approve or designate a testing authority for conducting DNA testing under section 2953.78 of the Revised Code, and a court shall not select or use a testing authority for DNA testing under that section, unless the testing authority satisfies all of the following criteria:
(1) It is in compliance with nationally accepted quality assurance standards for forensic DNA testing or advanced DNA testing, as published in the quality assurance standards for forensic DNA testing laboratories issued by the director of the federal bureau of investigation.
(2) It undergoes an annual internal or external audit for quality assurance in conformity with the standards identified in division (A)(1) of this section.
(3) At least once in the preceding two-year period, and at least once each two-year period thereafter, it undergoes an external audit for quality assurance in conformity with the standards identified in division (A)(1) of this section.
(B) As used in division (A) of this section:
(1) "External audit" means a quality assurance review of a testing authority that is conducted by a forensic DNA testing agency outside of, and not affiliated with, the testing authority.
(2) "Internal audit" means an internal review of a testing authority that is conducted by the testing authority itself.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 11, 2006 – Senate Bill 262, 126th General Assembly [ View July 11, 2006 Version ]