Section 3101.051 | Deleting social security numbers prior to inspecting records.
(A) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, a probate court shall make available to any person for inspection the records pertaining to the issuance of marriage licenses as provided under section 149.43 of the Revised Code.
(B) Before it makes available to a person any records pertaining to the issuance of a marriage license as described in division (A) of this section, subject to division (C) of this section, a probate court shall delete or otherwise remove any social security numbers of the parties to a marriage so that they are not available to the person inspecting the records.
(C) Division (B) of this section does not apply in any of the following circumstances:
(1) If the records in question are inspected by authorized personnel of the division of child support in the department of job and family services under section 5101.37 of the Revised Code;
(2) If the records in question are inspected by law enforcement personnel for purposes of a criminal investigation;
(3) If the records in question with the social security numbers are necessary for use in a civil or criminal trial and the release of the records with the social security numbers is ordered by a court with jurisdiction over the trial;
(4) If the records in question are inspected by either party to the marriage to which the records pertain;
(5) If the court possessed the records in question prior to the effective date of this section.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59, 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]