Section 311.42 | Sheriff's concealed handgun license issuance expense fund.
(A) Each county shall establish in the county treasury a sheriff's concealed handgun license issuance expense fund. The sheriff of that county shall deposit into that fund all fees paid by applicants for the issuance or renewal of a concealed handgun license or duplicate concealed handgun license under section 2923.125 of the Revised Code and all fees paid by the person seeking a concealed handgun license on a temporary emergency basis under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code. The county shall distribute all fees deposited into the fund except forty dollars of each fee paid by an applicant under division (B) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code, fifteen dollars of each fee paid under section 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, and thirty-five dollars of each fee paid under division (F) of section 2923.125 of the Revised Code to the attorney general to be used to pay the cost of background checks performed by the bureau of criminal identification and investigation and the federal bureau of investigation and to cover administrative costs associated with issuing the license.
(B) The sheriff, with the approval of the board of county commissioners, may expend any county portion of the fees deposited into the sheriff's concealed handgun license issuance expense fund for any of the following:
(1) Any costs incurred by the sheriff in connection with performing any administrative functions related to the issuance of concealed handgun licenses under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code, including, but not limited to, personnel expenses and any costs associated with a firearm safety education program, or a firearm training or qualification program that the sheriff chooses to fund;
(2) Ammunition and firearms to be used by the sheriff and the sheriff's employees;
(3) Any costs incurred in constructing, maintaining, or renovating a shooting range to be used by the sheriff or the sheriff's employees, including costs incurred for equipment associated with the shooting range.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 27, 2013 – House Bill 495, 129th General Assembly [ View March 27, 2013 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – House Bill 234, 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- March 21, 2017 – Amended by Senate Bill 199, 131st General Assembly [ View March 21, 2017 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]