Section 3313.6011 | Instruction in venereal disease education emphasizing abstinence.
(A) As used in this section, "sexual activity" has the same meaning as in section 2907.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Instruction in venereal disease education pursuant to division (A)(5)(c) of section 3313.60 of the Revised Code shall emphasize that abstinence from sexual activity is the only protection that is one hundred per cent effective against unwanted pregnancy, sexually transmitted disease, and the sexual transmission of a virus that causes acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
(C) In adopting minimum standards under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code, the state board of education shall require course material and instruction in venereal disease education courses taught pursuant to division (A)(5)(c) of section 3313.60 of the Revised Code to do all of the following:
(1) Stress that students should abstain from sexual activity until after marriage;
(2) Teach the potential physical, psychological, emotional, and social side effects of participating in sexual activity outside of marriage;
(3) Teach that conceiving children out of wedlock is likely to have harmful consequences for the child, the child's parents, and society;
(4) Stress that sexually transmitted diseases are serious possible hazards of sexual activity;
(5) Advise students of the laws pertaining to financial responsibility of parents to children born in and out of wedlock;
(6) Advise students of the circumstances under which it is criminal to have sexual contact with a person under the age of sixteen pursuant to section 2907.04 of the Revised Code;
(7) Emphasize adoption as an option for unintended pregnancies.
(D) Any model education program for health education the state board of education adopts shall conform to the requirements of this section.
(E) On and after March 18, 1999, and notwithstanding section 3302.07 of the Revised Code, the superintendent of public instruction shall not approve, pursuant to section 3302.07 of the Revised Code, any waiver of any requirement of this section or of any rule adopted by the state board of education pursuant to this section.
Available Versions of this Section
- April 7, 2009 – House Bill 7 - 127th General Assembly [ View April 7, 2009 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]