Section 3313.6110 | Diploma granted by parent or guardian.
(A) A person who has completed the final year of instruction at home, as authorized under section 3321.04 of the Revised Code, and has successfully fulfilled the high school curriculum applicable to that person may be granted a high school diploma by the person's parent, guardian, or other person having charge or care of a child, as defined in division (A)(1) of section 3321.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) Beginning with diplomas issued on or after July 1, 2015, each diploma granted under division (A) of this section shall be accompanied by the official letter of excuse issued by the district superintendent for the student's final year of home education.
(C) A person who has graduated from a nonchartered nonpublic school in Ohio and who has successfully fulfilled that school's high school curriculum may be granted a high school diploma by the governing authority of that school.
(D) Notwithstanding anything in the Revised Code to the contrary, a diploma granted under this section shall serve as proof of the successful completion of that person's applicable high school curriculum and satisfactory to fulfill any legal requirement to show such proof.
(E) For the purposes of an application for employment, a diploma granted under this section shall be considered proof of completion of a high school education, regardless of whether the person to which the diploma was granted participated in the assessments prescribed by division (A)(1) or (B)(1) or (2) of section 3301.0710 and section 3301.0712 of the Revised Code.
(F) A diploma granted under division (A) of this section may include a state seal of biliteracy that may be assigned to the student's diploma, by the parent, guardian, or other person having charge or care of the student, in the same manner as prescribed for transcripts issued by school districts and chartered nonpublic schools under section 3313.6111 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- March 16, 2017 – Amended by Senate Bill 3 - 131st General Assembly [ View March 16, 2017 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- October 3, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]