Section 3314.19 | Annual assurances by community school sponsor.
The sponsor of each community school shall provide the following assurances in writing to the department of education not later than ten business days prior to the opening of the school's first year of operation or, if the school is not an internet- or computer-based community school and it changes the building from which it operates, the opening of the first year it operates from the new building:
(A) That a current copy of the contract between the sponsor and the governing authority of the school entered into under section 3314.03 of the Revised Code has been filed with the department and that any subsequent modifications to that contract will be filed with the department;
(B) That the school has submitted to the sponsor a plan for providing special education and related services to students with disabilities and has demonstrated the capacity to provide those services in accordance with Chapter 3323. of the Revised Code and federal law;
(D) That school personnel have the necessary training, knowledge, and resources to properly use and submit information to all databases maintained by the department for the collection of education data, including the education management information system established under section 3301.0714 of the Revised Code in accordance with methods and timelines established under section 3314.17 of the Revised Code;
(E) That all required information about the school has been submitted to the Ohio education directory system or any successor system;
(F) That the school will enroll at least the minimum number of students required by division (A)(11)(a) of section 3314.03 of the Revised Code in the school year for which the assurances are provided;
(G) That all classroom teachers are licensed in accordance with sections 3319.22 to 3319.31 of the Revised Code, except for noncertificated persons engaged to teach up to twelve hours or forty hours per week pursuant to section 3319.301 of the Revised Code;
(H) That the school's fiscal officer is in compliance with section 3314.011 of the Revised Code;
(I) That the school has complied with sections 3319.39 and 3319.391 of the Revised Code with respect to all employees and that the school has conducted a criminal records check of each of its governing authority members;
(J) That the school holds all of the following:
(1) Proof of property ownership or a lease for the facilities used by the school;
(2) A certificate of occupancy;
(3) Liability insurance for the school, as required by division (A)(11)(b) of section 3314.03 of the Revised Code, that the sponsor considers sufficient to indemnify the school's facilities, staff, and governing authority against risk;
(4) A satisfactory health and safety inspection;
(5) A satisfactory fire inspection;
(6) A valid food permit, if applicable.
(K) That the sponsor has conducted a pre-opening site visit to the school for the school year for which the assurances are provided;
(L) That the school has designated a date it will open for the school year for which the assurances are provided that is in compliance with division (A)(25) of section 3314.03 of the Revised Code;
(M) That the school has met all of the sponsor's requirements for opening and any other requirements of the sponsor.
(N) That, for any school that operates using the blended learning model, as defined in section 3301.079 of the Revised Code, the sponsor has reviewed the following information, submitted by the school:
(1) An indication of what blended learning model or models will be used;
(2) A description of how student instructional needs will be determined and documented;
(3) The method to be used for determining competency, granting credit, and promoting students to a higher grade level;
(4) The school's attendance requirements, including how the school will document participation in learning opportunities;
(5) A statement describing how student progress will be monitored;
(6) A statement describing how private student data will be protected;
(7) A description of the professional development activities that will be offered to teachers.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2011 – House Bill 153, 129th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2011 Version ]
- February 1, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 2, 131st General Assembly [ View February 1, 2016 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- March 2, 2021 – Amended by Senate Bill 89, 133rd General Assembly [ View March 2, 2021 Version ]