Section 3317.028 | Recomputing where change in taxable value.
(A) On or before May 15, 2007, and the fifteenth day of May in each calendar year thereafter, the tax commissioner shall determine for each school district whether the taxable value of all utility tangible personal property subject to taxation by the district in the preceding tax year was less than the taxable value of such property during the second preceding tax year. If any decrease exceeds ten per cent of the district's tangible personal property taxable value included in the total taxable value used in the district's state aid computation for the fiscal year that ends in the current calendar year, the tax commissioner shall certify all of the following to the department of education and the office of budget and management:
(1) The district's total taxable value for the preceding tax year;
(2) The change in taxes charged and payable on the district's total taxable value for the preceding tax year and the second preceding tax year;
(3) The taxable value of the utility tangible personal property decrease, which shall be considered a change in valuation;
(4) The change in taxes charged and payable on such change in taxable value calculated in the same manner as in division (A)(3) of section 3317.021 of the Revised Code.
(B) Upon receipt of a certification specified in this section, the department of education shall replace the three-year average valuations that were used in computing the district's state education aid for the fiscal year that ends in the current calendar year with the taxable value certified under division (A)(1) of this section and shall recompute the state education aid for such fiscal year without applying any funding limitations enacted by the general assembly to the computation. The department shall pay to the district an amount equal to the lesser of the following:
(1) The positive difference between the district's state education aid prior to the recomputation under this section and the district's recomputed state education aid;
(2) The absolute value of the amount certified under division (A)(2) of this section.
The payment date shall be determined by the director of budget and management. The director shall select a payment date that is not earlier than the first day of June of the current fiscal year and not later than the thirty-first day of July of the following fiscal year. The department of education shall not pay the district under this section prior to approval by the director of budget and management to make that payment.
(C) If a school district received a grant from the catastrophic expenditures account pursuant to division (C) of section 3316.20 of the Revised Code on the basis of the same circumstances for which a recomputation is made under this section, the amount of the recomputation shall be reduced and transferred in accordance with division (C) of section 3316.20 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2007 – House Bill 119, 127th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2007 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110, 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]