Section 3323.09 | County board of developmental disabilities to establish special education programs.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Home" has the meaning given in section 3313.64 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Preschool child" means a child who is at least age three but under age six on the thirtieth day of September of an academic year.
(B) Each county board of developmental disabilities shall establish special education programs for all children with disabilities who in accordance with section 3323.04 of the Revised Code have been placed in special education programs operated by the county board and for preschool children who are developmentally delayed or at risk of being developmentally delayed. The board annually shall submit to the department of education and workforce a plan for the provision of these programs. The department shall review the plan and approve or modify it in accordance with rules adopted under section 3301.07 of the Revised Code. The department shall compile the plans submitted by county boards and shall submit a comprehensive plan to the state board.
A county board of developmental disabilities may combine transportation for children enrolled in classes funded under sections 3317.0213 or 3317.20 with transportation for children and adults enrolled in programs and services offered by the board under Chapter 5126. of the Revised Code.
(C) A county board of developmental disabilities that during the school year provided special education pursuant to this section for any child with mental disabilities under twenty-two years of age shall prepare and submit the following reports and statements:
(1) The board shall prepare a statement for each child who at the time of receiving such special education was a resident of a home and was not in the legal or permanent custody of an Ohio resident or a government agency in this state, and whose natural or adoptive parents are not known to have been residents of this state subsequent to the child's birth. The statement shall contain the child's name, the name of the child's school district of residence, the name of the county board providing the special education, and the number of months, including any fraction of a month, it was provided. Not later than the thirtieth day of June, the board shall forward a certified copy of such statement to both the director of developmental disabilities and to the home.
Within thirty days after its receipt of a statement, the home shall pay tuition to the county board computed in the manner prescribed by section 3323.141 of the Revised Code.
(2) The board shall prepare a report for each school district that is the school district of residence of one or more of such children for whom statements are not required by division (C)(1) of this section. The report shall contain the name of the county board providing special education, the name of each child receiving special education, the number of months, including fractions of a month, that the child received it, and the name of the child's school district of residence. Not later than the thirtieth day of June, the board shall forward certified copies of each report to the school district named in the report, the department, and the director of developmental disabilities.
Last updated September 13, 2023 at 1:37 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- October 12, 2016 – Amended by House Bill 158 - 131st General Assembly [ View October 12, 2016 Version ]
- October 3, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]