Section 3326.03 | STEM school grants - contents of proposals.
(A) The STEM committee shall authorize the establishment of and award grants to science, technology, engineering, and mathematics schools based on proposals submitted to the committee.
The committee shall determine the criteria for proposals, establish procedures for the submission of proposals, accept and evaluate proposals, and choose which proposals to approve to become a STEM school. In approving proposals for STEM schools, the committee shall consider locating the schools in diverse geographic regions of the state so that all students have access to a STEM school.
The committee shall seek technical assistance from the Ohio STEM learning network, or its successor, throughout the process of accepting and evaluating proposals and choosing which proposals to approve. In approving proposals for STEM schools, the committee shall consider the recommendations of the Ohio STEM learning network, or its successor.
The committee may authorize the establishment of a group of multiple STEM schools to operate from multiple facilities located in one or more school districts under the direction of a single governing body in the manner prescribed by section 3326.031 of the Revised Code. The committee shall consider the merits of each of the proposed STEM schools within a group and shall authorize each school separately. Anytime after authorizing a group of STEM schools to be under the direction of a single governing body, upon a proposal from the governing body, the committee may authorize one or more additional schools to operate as part of that group.
The STEM committee may approve one or more STEM schools to serve only students identified as gifted under Chapter 3324. of the Revised Code.
(B) Proposals may be submitted only by a partnership of public and private entities consisting of at least all of the following:
(1) A city, exempted village, local, or joint vocational school district or an educational service center;
(2) Higher education entities;
(3) Business organizations.
A community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, a chartered nonpublic school, or both may be part of the partnership.
(C) Each proposal shall include at least the following:
(1) Assurances that the STEM school or group of STEM schools will be under the oversight of a governing body and a description of the members of that governing body and how they will be selected;
(2) Assurances that each STEM school will operate in compliance with this chapter and the provisions of the proposal as accepted by the committee;
(3) Evidence that each school will offer a rigorous, diverse, integrated, and project-based curriculum to students in any of grades kindergarten through twelve, with the goal to prepare those students for college, the workforce, and citizenship, and that does all of the following:
(a) Emphasizes the role of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics in promoting innovation and economic progress;
(b) Incorporates scientific inquiry and technological design;
(c) Includes the arts and humanities;
(d) Emphasizes personalized learning and teamwork skills.
(4) Evidence that each school will attract school leaders who support the curriculum principles of division (C)(3) of this section;
(5) A description of how each school's curriculum will be developed and approved in accordance with section 3326.09 of the Revised Code;
(6) Evidence that each school will utilize an established capacity to capture and share knowledge for best practices and innovative professional development with the Ohio STEM learning network, or its successor;
(7) Evidence that each school will operate in collaboration with a partnership that includes institutions of higher education and businesses;
(8) Assurances that each school has received commitments of sustained and verifiable fiscal and in-kind support from regional education and business entities;
(9) A description of how each school's assets will be distributed if the school closes for any reason.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 11, 2014 – House Bill 362 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 11, 2014 Version ]
- March 16, 2017 – Amended by Senate Bill 3 - 131st General Assembly [ View March 16, 2017 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110 - 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]
- October 3, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 33 - 135th General Assembly [ View October 3, 2023 Version ]