Section 3503.20 | Online voter registration system.
(A) The secretary of state shall establish a secure online voter registration system. The system shall provide for all of the following:
(1) An applicant to submit a voter registration application to the secretary of state online through the internet;
(2) The online applicant to be registered to vote, if all of the following apply:
(a) The application contains all of the following information:
(i) The applicant's name;
(ii) The applicant's address;
(iii) The applicant's date of birth;
(iv) The last four digits of the applicant's social security number;
(v) The applicant's Ohio driver's license number or the number of the applicant's state identification card issued under section 4507.50 of the Revised Code.
(b) The applicant's name, address, and date of birth, the last four digits of the applicant's social security number, and the applicant's Ohio driver's license number or the number of the applicant's state identification card as they are provided in the application are not inconsistent with the information on file with the bureau of motor vehicles;
(c) The applicant is a United States citizen, will have lived in this state for thirty days immediately preceding the next election, will be at least eighteen years of age on or before the day of the next general election, and is otherwise eligible to register to vote;
(d) The applicant attests to the truth and accuracy of the information submitted in the online application under penalty of election falsification.
(B) If an individual registers to vote or a registered elector updates the elector's name, address, or both under this section, the secretary of state shall obtain an electronic copy of the applicant's or elector's signature that is on file with the bureau of motor vehicles. That electronic signature shall be used as the applicant's or elector's signature on voter registration records, for all election and signature-matching purposes.
(C) The secretary of state shall employ whatever security measures the secretary of state considers necessary to ensure the integrity and accuracy of voter registration information submitted electronically pursuant to this section. Errors in processing voter registration applications in the online system shall not prevent an applicant from becoming registered or from voting.
(D) The online voter registration application established under division (A) of this section shall include the following language:
"By clicking the box below, I affirm all of the following under penalty of election falsification, which is a felony of the fifth degree:
(1) I am the person whose name and identifying information is provided on this form, and I desire to register to vote, or update my voter registration, in the State of Ohio.
(2) All of the information I have provided on this form is true and correct as of the date I am submitting this form.
(3) I am a United States citizen.
(4) I will have lived in Ohio for thirty days immediately preceding the next election.
(5) I will be at least eighteen years of age on or before the day of the next general election.
(6) I authorize the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to transmit to the Ohio Secretary of State my signature that is on file with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles, and I understand and agree that the signature transmitted by the Bureau of Motor Vehicles will be used by the Secretary of State to validate this electronic voter registration application as if I had signed this form personally."
In order to register to vote or update a voter registration under division (A) of this section, an applicant or elector shall be required to mark the box in the online voter registration application that appears in conjunction with the previous statement.
(E) The online voter registration process established under division (A) of this section shall be in operation and available for use by individuals who wish to register to vote or update their voter registration information online not earlier than January 1, 2017. During the period beginning on the first day after the close of voter registration before an election and ending on the day of the election, the online voter registration system shall display a notice indicating that the applicant will not be registered to vote for the purposes of that election.
(F) Notwithstanding section 1.50 of the Revised Code, if any provision of this section or of division (E) of section 3503.14 of the Revised Code is held invalid, or if the application of any provision of this section or of that division to any person or circumstance is held invalid, then this section and that division cease to operate.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 13, 2016 – Enacted by Senate Bill 63, 131st General Assembly [ View September 13, 2016 Version ]