Section 3719.15 | Exceptions.
This chapter and Chapter 2925. of the Revised Code shall not apply, except as specifically provided otherwise in those chapters, to the following cases:
(A) Where a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs administers or personally furnishes, or where a pharmacist sells at retail, any medicinal preparation that contains in thirty milliliters, or if a solid or semisolid preparation, in thirty grams, of any of the following:
(1) Not more than one hundred thirty milligrams of opium;
(2) Not more than sixteen and twenty-five one hundreths milligrams of morphine or of any of its salts;
(3) Not more than sixty-five milligrams of codeine or of any of its salts;
(4) Not more than thirty-two and five-tenths milligrams of dihydrocodeine or any of its salts;
(5) Not more than sixteen and twenty-five one hundreths milligrams of ethylmorphine or any of its salts.
Each preparation specified in divisions (A)(1), (2), (3), (4), and (5) of this section shall in addition contain one or more non-narcotic active medicinal ingredients in sufficient proportion to confer upon the preparation valuable medicinal qualities other than those possessed by the narcotic drug alone.
(6) Pharmaceutical preparations in solid form containing not more than two and five-tenths milligrams diphenoxylate and not less than twenty-five micrograms atropine sulfate per dosage unit.
(B) Where a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs administers or personally furnishes, or where a pharmacist sells at retail, liniments, ointments, and other preparations, that are susceptible of external use only and that contain narcotic drugs in a combination that prevents the drugs from being readily extracted from the liniments, ointments, or preparations, except that this chapter and Chapter 2925. of the Revised Code shall apply to all liniments, ointments, and other preparations that contain coca leaves in any quantity or combination.
The medicinal preparation, or the liniment, ointment, or other preparation susceptible of external use only, prescribed, personally furnished, administered, dispensed, or sold, shall contain, in addition to the narcotic drug in it, some drug or drugs conferring upon it medicinal qualities other than those possessed by the narcotic drug alone. The preparation shall be prescribed, personally furnished, administered, compounded, dispensed, and sold in good faith as a medicine, and not for the purpose of evading this chapter or Chapter 2925. of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 22, 1998 – Senate Bill 66 - 122nd General Assembly [ View July 22, 1998 Version ]