Section 3750.01 | Emergency planning definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(A) "Confidential business information" means the types or categories of information identified in rules adopted under division (B)(1)(h) of section 3750.02 of the Revised Code.
(B) "Extremely hazardous substance" means a substance identified or listed by the rules adopted under division (B)(1)(a) or (C)(5) of section 3750.02 of the Revised Code.
(C) "Emergency planning district" means an emergency planning district or joint emergency planning district designated under section 3750.03 of the Revised Code or a joint interstate emergency planning district established by agreement under that section.
(D) "Facility" means all buildings, equipment, structures, and other stationary items that are located on a single site or on contiguous or adjacent sites and that are owned or operated by the same person or by any person who controls, is controlled by, or is under common control with such person. For the purposes of section 3750.06 of the Revised Code, the term also includes motor vehicles, rolling stock, and aircraft.
(E) "Fire department" means a fire department of a municipal corporation or township, a township fire district, a joint township fire district, a private fire company or volunteer fire company that has entered into an agreement for the use and operation of fire-fighting equipment with a municipal corporation, township, township fire district, or joint township fire district or, in a municipal corporation or township where no such fire department or district exists and no such agreement is in effect, the fire prevention officer of the municipal corporation or township.
(F) "First response equipment" means equipment, other than emergency response and firefighting vehicles, designed primarily for the purpose of facilitating the safe and efficient response to unanticipated and unauthorized releases of hazardous substances and extremely hazardous substances.
(G) "Hazardous chemical" has the meaning given to that term in 29 C.F.R. 1910. 1200(c). The term also includes chemicals identified or listed in rules adopted under division (C)(5) of section 3750.02 of the Revised Code, but does not include any of the following:
(1) Any food, food additive, color additive, drug, or cosmetic regulated by the food and drug administration of the United States department of health and human services;
(2) Any substance present as a solid in any manufactured item, to the extent that exposure to the substance does not occur under normal conditions of use;
(3) Any substance to the extent it is used for personal, family, or household purposes, or is present in the same form and concentration as a product packaged for distribution and use by the general public, including, without limitation, household and consumer products that are stored prior to or displayed for distribution to the consumer when in the same form and concentration and products that are not intended for distribution to the general public and are in the same form and concentration as products packaged for distribution to and use by the general public, unless the chemical is subject to a reporting requirement for which a variance has been issued under division (B) or (C) of section 3750.11 of the Revised Code;
(4) Any substance to the extent it is used in a research laboratory or a hospital or other medical facility under the direct supervision of a technically qualified individual;
(5) Any substance to the extent it is used in routine agricultural operations or is a fertilizer held for sale by a retailer to the ultimate customer.
(H) "Hazardous substance" means a substance identified or listed by the rules adopted under division (B)(1)(c) or (C)(5) of section 3750.02 of the Revised Code.
(I) "Local emergency planning committee" means the local emergency planning committee of an emergency planning district, joint emergency planning district, or joint interstate planning district established under section 3750.03 of the Revised Code.
(J) "Oil" means oil of any kind or in any form including, without limitation, petroleum, fuel oil, sludge, oil refuse, and oil mixed with wastes other than dredged spoil.
(K) "Person" means the state, any political subdivision, any other state or local body, the United States and any agency or instrumentality thereof, and any person as defined in section 1.59 of the Revised Code.
(L) "Release" means any spilling, leaking, pumping, pouring, emitting, emptying, discharging, injecting, escaping, leaching, dumping, or disposing of into the environment, including, without limitation, the abandonment or discarding of barrels, containers, and other closed receptacles that contained any oil, hazardous chemical, hazardous substance, or extremely hazardous substance. The term does not include any discharge, emission, injection, or disposal into the environment of any oil, hazardous chemical, hazardous substance, or extremely hazardous substance that is in compliance with Chapter 1509., 3704., 3734., or 6111. of the Revised Code, rules adopted thereunder, the terms or conditions of a current and valid permit or license, or order, issued thereunder, or a plan approval made thereunder.
(M) "Vessel" means every watercraft or other artificial contrivance used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.
Available Versions of this Section
- December 14, 1988 – Senate Bill 367, 117th General Assembly [ View December 14, 1988 Version ]