Section 4509.70 | Plan for apportionment of applicants for insurance.
(A) After consultation with the insurance companies authorized to issue automobile liability or physical damage policies, or both, in this state, the superintendent of insurance shall approve a reasonable plan, fair and equitable to the insurers and to their policyholders, for the apportionment among such companies of applicants for such policies and for motor-vehicle liability policies who are in good faith entitled to but are unable to procure such policies through ordinary methods. When any such plan has been approved by the superintendent, all such insurance companies shall subscribe and participate. Any applicant for such policy, any person insured under such plan of operation, and any insurance company affected, may appeal to the superintendent of insurance from any ruling or decision of the manager or committee designated in the plan to operate the assigned risk insurance plan. Any order or act of the superintendent under this section is subject to review as provided in sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code, at the instance of any party in interest.
(B) The plan described in division (A) of this section may permit the assigned risk insurance plan to directly issue and process claims arising from such policies described in division (A) of this section to applicants of automobile insurance policies who are in good faith entitled to but are unable to procure such policies through ordinary methods.
(C) Every form of a policy, endorsement, rider, manual of classifications, rules, and rates, every rating plan, and every modification of any of them proposed to be used by the assigned risk insurance plan shall be filed, or the plan may satisfy its obligation to make such filings, as described in section 3937.03 of the Revised Code.
(D) Any automobile insurance policy issued by the assigned risk insurance plan under division (B) of this section:
(1) Shall be recognized as if issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in this state;
(2) Shall meet all requirements of proof of financial responsibility as described in division (K) of section 4509.01 of the Revised Code.
(E) Proof of financial responsibility provided by the assigned risk insurance plan to an automobile insurance policyholder that meets the requirements described in division (G)(1)(a) or (b) of section 4509.101 of the Revised Code shall be recognized as if issued by an insurance company authorized to do business in this state to demonstrate proof of financial responsibility under section 4509.101 of the Revised Code.
(F) The assigned risk insurance plan designated in division (A) of this section shall do both of the following:
(1) Make annual audited financial reports available to the superintendent of insurance promptly upon the completion of such audit;
(2) Upon reasonable notice, make available to the superintendent of insurance all books and records relating to the insurance transactions of the assigned risk insurance plan.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 14, 1970 – Senate Bill 588, 108th General Assembly [ View September 14, 1970 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- January 1, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 339, 133rd General Assembly [ View January 1, 2021 Version ]