Section 4511.093 | Traffic law photo-monitoring devices.
(A) A local authority may utilize a traffic law photo-monitoring device for the purpose of detecting traffic law violations. If the local authority is a county or township, the board of county commissioners or the board of township trustees may adopt such resolutions as may be necessary to enable the county or township to utilize traffic law photo-monitoring devices.
(B) The use of a traffic law photo-monitoring device is subject to the following conditions:
(1) A local authority shall use a traffic law photo-monitoring device to detect and enforce traffic law violations only if a law enforcement officer is present at the location of the device at all times during the operation of the device and if the local authority complies with sections 4511.094 and 4511.095 of the Revised Code.
(2) A law enforcement officer who is present at the location of any traffic law photo-monitoring device and who personally witnesses a traffic law violation may issue a ticket for the violation. Such a ticket shall be issued in accordance with section 2935.26 of the Revised Code and is not subject to sections 4511.096 to 4511.0910 and section 4511.912 of the Revised Code.
(3) If a traffic law photo-monitoring device records a traffic law violation and the law enforcement officer who was present at the location of the traffic law photo-monitoring device does not issue a ticket as provided under division (B)(2) of this section, the local authority may only issue a ticket in accordance with sections 4511.096 to 4511.0912 of the Revised Code.
(C) No township constable appointed under section 509.01 of the Revised Code, member of a police force of a township or joint police district created under section 505.48 or 505.482 of the Revised Code, or other representative of a township shall utilize a traffic law photo-monitoring device to detect and enforce traffic law violations on an interstate highway.
Available Versions of this Section
- August 31, 2012 – House Bill 99 - 129th General Assembly [ View August 31, 2012 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – Senate Bill 342 - 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- July 3, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 62 - 133rd General Assembly [ View July 3, 2019 Version ]
- June 30, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 23 - 135th General Assembly [ View June 30, 2023 Version ]