Section 4511.093 | [Renumbered as R.C. 4511.043 by S.B. 342, 130th General Assembly, effective 3/23/2015] Ticket, summons, or citation for secondary traffic offense.
(A)(1) No law enforcement officer who stops the operator of a motor vehicle in the course of an authorized sobriety or other motor vehicle checkpoint operation or a motor vehicle safety inspection shall issue a ticket, citation, or summons for a secondary traffic offense unless in the course of the checkpoint operation or safety inspection the officer first determines that an offense other than a secondary traffic offense has occurred and either places the operator or a vehicle occupant under arrest or issues a ticket, citation, or summons to the operator or a vehicle occupant for an offense other than a secondary offense.
(2) A law enforcement agency that operates a motor vehicle checkpoint for an express purpose related to a secondary traffic offense shall not issue a ticket, citation, or summons for any secondary traffic offense at such a checkpoint, but may use such a checkpoint operation to conduct a public awareness campaign and distribute information.
(B) As used in this section, "secondary traffic offense" means a violation of division (A) or (F)(2) of section 4507.05, division (B)(1)(a) or (b) or (E) of section 4507.071, division (A) of section 4511.204, division (C) or (D) of section 4511.81, division (A)(3) of section 4513.03, or division (B) of section 4513.263 of the Revised Code.
Last updated May 3, 2023 at 12:23 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- August 31, 2012 – House Bill 99 - 129th General Assembly [ View August 31, 2012 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – Senate Bill 342 - 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- July 3, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 62 - 133rd General Assembly [ View July 3, 2019 Version ]
- June 30, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 23 - 135th General Assembly [ View June 30, 2023 Version ]