Section 4707.22 | Advertisements.
(A) Any person licensed under this chapter who advertises, by linear advertisements or otherwise, to hold or conduct an auction shall indicate in the advertisement the licensee's name or the name registered with the department of agriculture and that the licensee is an auctioneer. Any such licensee who advertises in a manner other than as provided in this section is guilty of violating division (A)(3) of section 4707.15 of the Revised Code.
(B) An auction firm licensed under this chapter that advertises, by linear advertisements or otherwise, to solicit or receive consignments or to provide auction services shall indicate in the advertisement the name of the auction firm. In addition, an advertisement of an auction of consignments or an advertisement by an auction firm of an auction for which the auction firm will provide auction services shall comply with divisions (A) and (D) of this section.
(C) If an auction to be advertised is an absolute auction, all advertisements for the auction shall unequivocally state that the auction is an absolute auction.
(D) If an advertisement for an auction contains the words "estate auction," or words to that effect, the person licensed under this chapter who advertises shall do both of the following:
(1) Enter into an agreement directly with the executor, administrator, or court appointed designee of the estate property;
(2) List prominently in the advertisement the county in which the estate is located and the probate court case number of the estate.
(E) All persons licensed under this chapter that conduct or are involved in an auction jointly are responsible for the posting of a sign at the auction. The sign shall contain all of the following:
(1) The name of all licensed persons involved in the auction;
(2) A statement that the persons are licensed by the department of agriculture;
(3) The address of the department of agriculture.
The sign shall be posted at the main entrance of the auction, at the place of registration for the auction, or by the cashier for the auction. The sign shall be of a size not smaller than eight and one-half inches by eleven inches. The letters and numbers on the sign shall be of adequate size to be readily seen by an individual with normal vision when viewing it.
(F) An advertisement for the sale of real property at auction shall contain the name of the licensed auctioneer who is entering into the auction contract and the name of the real estate broker licensed under Chapter 4735. of the Revised Code who is involved in the sale. Compliance with this section shall not require a real estate broker licensed under Chapter 4735. of the Revised Code to obtain a license under section 4707.073 of the Revised Code.
(G) If an auction to be advertised is a multi-parcel auction, all advertisements for the auction, excluding road signs, shall state that the auction will be offered in various amalgamations, including as individual parcels or lots, combinations of parcels or lots, and all parcels or lots as a whole.
The Legislative Service Commission presents the text of this section as a composite of the section as amended by multiple acts of the General Assembly. This presentation recognizes the principle stated in R.C. 1.52(B) that amendments are to be harmonized if reasonably capable of simultaneous operation.
Last updated July 8, 2022 at 9:26 AM
Available Versions of this Section
- May 6, 2005 – Senate Bill 209 - 125th General Assembly [ View May 6, 2005 Version ]
- March 20, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 480 - 132nd General Assembly [ View March 20, 2019 Version ]
- October 9, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 263 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 9, 2021 Version ]
- September 13, 2022 – Amended by House Bill 263 (GA 133), House Bill 321 (GA 134) [ View September 13, 2022 Version ]