Section 4713.16 | Exemptions.
(A) This chapter does not prohibit any of the following:
(1) Practicing a branch of cosmetology without a license or registration if the individual does so for free at the individual's home for a family member who resides in the same household as the individual;
(2) The retail sale, or trial demonstration by application to the skin for purposes of retail sale, of cosmetics, preparations, tonics, antiseptics, creams, lotions, wigs, or hairpieces without a practicing license or registration;
(3) The retailing, at a salon, of cosmetics, preparations, tonics, antiseptics, creams, lotions, wigs, hairpieces, clothing, or any other items that pose no risk of creating unsanitary conditions at the salon;
(4) The provision of glamour photography services at a licensed salon if either of the following is the case:
(a) A branch of cosmetology is not practiced as part of the services.
(b) If a branch of cosmetology is practiced as part of the services, the part of the services that is a branch of cosmetology is performed by an individual who holds either of the following authorizing the individual to practice that branch of cosmetology:
(ii) A current, valid temporary special occasion work permit issued under section 4713.37 of the Revised Code.
(5) A student engaging, as a student, in work connected with a branch of cosmetology taught at the school of cosmetology at which the student is enrolled;
(6) Practicing a branch of cosmetology without a license or registration if the individual does so for free for the purpose of researching or developing a cosmetic as defined in section 3715.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) A student in a career-technical program learning a branch of cosmetology may continue developing skills in the respective branch of cosmetology after completing the required coursework or obtaining a license in the respective branch of cosmetology by working in the licensed career-technical school clinic if the student does not receive any compensation. This allowance terminates upon the graduation of the student from the career-technical school.