Section 4725.52 | Apprentices.
Any licensed dispensing optician may supervise a maximum of three apprentices who shall be permitted to engage in optical dispensing only under the supervision of the licensed dispensing optician.
To serve as an apprentice, a person shall register with the state vision professionals board on a form provided by the board and in the form of a statement giving the name and address of the supervising licensed dispensing optician, the location at which the apprentice will be employed, and any other information required by the board. For the duration of the apprenticeship, the apprentice shall register annually on the form provided by the board and in the form of a statement.
Each apprentice shall pay an initial registration fee of twenty dollars. The board shall not charge an apprentice a fee to renew the apprentice's registration.
The board shall not deny registration as an apprentice under this section to any individual based on the individual's past criminal history or an interpretation of moral character unless the denial is for a disqualifying offense in accordance with section 9.79 of the Revised Code. In considering a renewal of an individual's registration, the board shall not consider any conviction or plea of guilty prior to the initial registration. However, the board may consider a conviction or plea of guilty if it occurred after the individual was initially registered, or after the most recent registration renewal. If the board denies an individual for a registration or registration renewal, the reasons for such denial shall be put in writing. Additionally, the board may grant an individual a conditional registration that lasts for one year. After the one-year period has expired, the registration is no longer considered conditional, and the individual shall be considered fully registered.
A person who is gaining experience under the supervision of a licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist that would qualify the person under division (B)(1) of section 4725.48 of the Revised Code to take the examination for optical dispensing is not required to register with the board.
Last updated March 7, 2023 at 11:22 AM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 28, 2012 – Senate Bill 337 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 28, 2012 Version ]
- January 21, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View January 21, 2018 Version ]
- April 5, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 420 - 132nd General Assembly [ View April 5, 2019 Version ]
- October 9, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 263 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 9, 2021 Version ]
- April 6, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 509 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]
- December 29, 2023 – Amended by Senate Bill 131 (GA 134), House Bill 509 (GA 134) [ View December 29, 2023 Version ]