Section 4725.51 | Renewal - continuing education.
(A)(1) Each license issued under sections 4725.40 to 4725.59 of the Revised Code shall expire on the last day of December of each odd-numbered year. Each person holding a valid, current license may apply to the state vision professionals board for the extension of the license under the standard renewal procedures of Chapter 4745. of the Revised Code. Each application for renewal shall be accompanied by a renewal fee of one hundred ninety-five dollars. In addition, except as provided in division (A)(2) of this section, the application shall contain evidence that the applicant has completed continuing education within each biennial licensing period as follows:
(a) Licensed spectacle dispensing opticians shall have completed a length of study of twelve clock hours, approved by the board.
(b) Licensed spectacle-contact lens dispensing opticians shall have completed a length of study of twenty-four clock hours, approved by the board.
(2) An application for the initial renewal of a license issued under sections 4725.40 to 4725.55 of the Revised Code is not required to contain evidence that the applicant has completed the continuing education requirements of division (A)(1) of this section.
(B) No person who fails to renew the person's license under division (A) of this section shall be required to take a qualifying examination under section 4725.48 of the Revised Code as a condition of renewal, provided that the application for renewal and proof of the requisite continuing education hours are submitted within thirty days from the date the license expired and the applicant pays the renewal fee and a penalty of seventy-five dollars. The board may provide, by rule, for an extension of the grace period for licensed dispensing opticians who are serving in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard or the national guard of any other state and for waiver of the continuing education requirements or the penalty in cases of hardship or illness.
(C) The board shall approve continuing education programs and shall adopt rules as necessary for approving the programs. The rules shall permit programs to be conducted either in person or through electronic or other self-study means. Approved programs shall be scheduled, sponsored, and conducted in accordance with the board's rules.
(D) Any license given a grandfathered issuance or renewal between March 22, 1979, and March 22, 1980, shall be renewed in accordance with this section.
Last updated March 22, 2023 at 12:03 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- November 15, 2013 – House Bill 98 - 130th General Assembly [ View November 15, 2013 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – House Bill 258 - 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64 - 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- January 21, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 49 - 132nd General Assembly [ View January 21, 2018 Version ]
- April 6, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 509 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]