Section 4730.19 | Supervision agreement approval procedure.
(A) Before initiating supervision of one or more physician assistants licensed under this chapter, a physician shall enter into a supervision agreement with each physician assistant who will be supervised. A supervision agreement may apply to one or more physician assistants, but, except as provided in division (B)(2)(e) of this section, may apply to not more than one physician. The supervision agreement shall specify that the physician agrees to supervise the physician assistant and the physician assistant agrees to practice under that physician's supervision.
The agreement shall clearly state that the supervising physician is legally responsible and assumes legal liability for the services provided by the physician assistant. The agreement shall be signed by the physician and the physician assistant.
(B) A supervision agreement shall include either or both of the following:
(1) If a physician assistant will practice within a health care facility, the agreement shall include terms that require the physician assistant to practice in accordance with the policies of the health care facility.
(2) If a physician assistant will practice outside a health care facility, the agreement shall include terms that specify all of the following:
(a) The responsibilities to be fulfilled by the physician in supervising the physician assistant;
(b) The responsibilities to be fulfilled by the physician assistant when performing services under the physician's supervision;
(c) Any limitations on the responsibilities to be fulfilled by the physician assistant;
(d) The circumstances under which the physician assistant is required to refer a patient to the supervising physician;
(e) If the supervising physician chooses to designate physicians to act as alternate supervising physicians, the names, business addresses, and business telephone numbers of the physicians who have agreed to act in that capacity.
(C) A supervision agreement may be amended to modify the responsibilities of one or more physician assistants or to include one or more additional physician assistants.
(D) A supervision agreement shall be kept in the records maintained by the supervising physician who entered into the agreement.
(E)(1) The board may impose a civil penalty of not more than five thousand dollars if it finds through a review conducted under this section or through any other means any of the following:
(a) That a physician assistant has practiced in a manner that departs from, or fails to conform to, the terms of a supervision agreement entered into under this section;
(b) That a physician has supervised a physician assistant in a manner that departs from, or fails to conform to, the terms of a supervision agreement entered into under this section;
(c) That a physician failed to comply with this section.
(2) The board's finding under division (A)(1) of this section shall be made pursuant to an adjudication conducted under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code. A civil penalty imposed under that division may be in addition to or in lieu of any other action the board may take under section 4730.25 or 4731.22 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- May 17, 2006 – Senate Bill 154, 126th General Assembly [ View May 17, 2006 Version ]
- October 15, 2015 – Senate Bill 110, 131st General Assembly [ View October 15, 2015 Version ]
- September 28, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 111, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 28, 2018 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]