Section 4730.43 | Samples provided by physician assistant.
(A) A physician assistant who holds a valid prescriber number issued by the state medical board and has been granted physician-delegated prescriptive authority may personally furnish to a patient samples of drugs and therapeutic devices, subject to all of the following:
(1) The amount of the sample furnished shall not exceed a seventy-two-hour supply, except when the minimum available quantity of the sample is packaged in an amount that is greater than a seventy-two-hour supply, in which case the physician assistant may furnish the sample in the package amount.
(2) No charge may be imposed for the sample or for furnishing it.
(3) Samples of controlled substances may not be personally furnished.
(B) A physician assistant who holds a valid prescriber number issued by the state medical board and has been granted physician-delegated prescriptive authority may personally furnish to a patient a complete or partial supply of the drugs and therapeutic devices that are included in the physician assistant's physician-delegated prescriptive authority, subject to all of the following:
(1) The physician assistant shall personally furnish only antibiotics, antifungals, scabicides, contraceptives, prenatal vitamins, antihypertensives, drugs and devices used in the treatment of diabetes, drugs and devices used in the treatment of asthma, and drugs used in the treatment of dyslipidemia.
(2) The physician assistant shall not furnish the drugs and devices in locations other than a health department operated by the board of health of a city or general health district or the authority having the duties of a board of health under section 3709.05 of the Revised Code, a federally funded comprehensive primary care clinic, or a nonprofit health care clinic or program.
(3) The physician assistant shall comply with all standards and procedures for personally furnishing supplies of drugs and devices, as established in rules adopted under section 4730.39 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- May 17, 2006 – Senate Bill 154, 126th General Assembly [ View May 17, 2006 Version ]
- October 15, 2015 – Senate Bill 110, 131st General Assembly [ View October 15, 2015 Version ]
- March 20, 2019 – Amended by Senate Bill 259, 132nd General Assembly [ View March 20, 2019 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110, 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]