Section 4731.155 | Rules regarding continuing education.
(A) The state medical board may adopt rules that establish continuing education requirements for renewal under section 4731.15 of the Revised Code of a license to practice a limited branch of medicine. The rules shall be adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(B)(1) If the board adopts rules establishing continuing education requirements for holders of licenses to practice a limited branch of medicine, the board may require a holder to certify to the board that the holder has satisfied the continuing education requirements.
(2) The board may require a random sample of license holders to submit materials documenting that the continuing education requirements adopted under this section have been satisfied.
Division (B)(2) of this section does not limit the board's authority to conduct investigations pursuant to section 4731.22 of the Revised Code.
(3) If, through a random sample conducted under division (B)(2) of this section or any other means, the board finds that an individual who certified completion of the number of hours and type of continuing education required to renew, reinstate, or restore a license to practice did not complete the requisite continuing education, the board may do either of the following:
(a) Take disciplinary action against the individual under section 4731.22 of the Revised Code, impose a civil penalty, or both;
(b) Permit the individual to agree in writing to complete the continuing education and pay a civil penalty.
(4) The board's finding in any disciplinary action taken under division (B)(3)(a) of this section shall be made pursuant to an adjudication under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code and by an affirmative vote of not fewer than six of its members.
(5) A civil penalty imposed under division (B)(3)(a) of this section or paid under division (B)(3)(b) of this section shall be in an amount specified by the board of not more than five thousand dollars. The board shall deposit civil penalties in accordance with section 4731.24 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 15, 2014 – House Bill 483 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 15, 2014 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]