Section 4731.298 | Visiting clinical professional development certificate.
(A) The state medical board shall issue, without examination, to an applicant who meets the requirements of this section a visiting clinical professional development certificate authorizing the practice of medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery as part of the applicant's participation in a clinical professional development program.
(B) To be eligible for a visiting clinical professional development certificate, an applicant shall provide to the board satisfactory evidence that the applicant meets both of the following requirements:
(1) Has been accepted for participation in a clinical professional development program of a medical school or osteopathic medical school in this state that is accredited by the liaison committee on medical education or the American osteopathic association or of a teaching hospital affiliated with such a medical school;
(2) Holds a current, unrestricted license to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery issued in another country.
(C) The board shall maintain a register of all persons who hold visiting clinical professional development certificates.
(D) The holder of a visiting clinical professional development certificate may practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery only as part of the clinical professional development program in which the certificate holder participates. The certificate holder's practice must be under the direct supervision of a qualified faculty member of the medical school, osteopathic medical school, or teaching hospital conducting the program who holds a license to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery issued under this chapter.
The program in which the certificate holder participates shall ensure that the certificate holder does not do any of the following:
(1) Write orders or prescribe medication;
(2) Bill for services performed;
(3) Occupy a residency or fellowship position approved by the accreditation council for graduate medical education;
(4) Attempt to have participation in a clinical professional development program pursuant to this section counted toward meeting the graduate medical education requirements specified in section 4731.09 of the Revised Code.
(E) The board may revoke a certificate issued under this section on receiving proof satisfactory to the board that the certificate holder has engaged in practice in this state outside the scope of the certificate or that there are grounds for action against the certificate holder under section 4731.22 of the Revised Code.
(F) A visiting clinical professional development certificate is valid for the shorter of one year or the duration of the program in which the holder is participating. The certificate ceases to be valid if the holder resigns or is otherwise terminated from the program. The certificate may not be extended.
(G) The program in which a certificate holder participates shall obtain from each patient or patient's parent or legal guardian written consent to any medical or surgical procedure or course of procedures in which the certificate holder participates.
(H) The board may adopt any rules it considers necessary to implement this section. The rules shall be adopted in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.