Section 4731.511 | Hyperbaric oxygen therapy.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Hyperbaric oxygen therapy" means the administration of pure oxygen in a pressurized room or chamber.
(2) "Physician" means an individual authorized under this chapter to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery.
(B) A podiatrist may supervise hyperbaric oxygen therapy if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) The podiatrist has consulted with a physician who has been authorized to perform hyperbaric oxygen therapy by the facility in which the hyperbaric oxygen room or chamber is located.
(2) The podiatrist orders hyperbaric oxygen therapy only for treatment within the scope of practice of podiatry as described in section 4731.51 of the Revised Code.
(3) The podiatrist is certified in advanced cardiovascular life support by a certifying organization recognized by the state medical board.
(4) The podiatrist has completed, at a minimum, a forty-hour introductory course in hyperbaric medicine recognized by the American board of foot and ankle surgery or by the undersea and hyperbaric medical society.
(5) The podiatrist is board-certified or board-qualified by the American board of foot and ankle surgery or the American board of podiatric medicine.
On the request of the state medical board, the podiatrist shall submit to the board evidence demonstrating that the podiatrist is certified in advanced cardiovascular life support and has completed a course in hyperbaric medicine as described in this section.
(C) When hyperbaric oxygen therapy is supervised under this section, both of the following apply:
(1) The podiatrist must be immediately available throughout the performance of the therapy.
(2) The physician described in division (B)(1) of this section must be readily available for consultation throughout the performance of the therapy to furnish assistance and direction in the event a complication occurs that is outside the scope of practice of podiatry as described in section 4731.51 of the Revised Code.
A physician is considered to be readily available for consultation if the physician is able to communicate with the podiatrist in a timely fashion either in person or by oral, written, or electronic means. The physician is not required to be physically present at the facility in which the hyperbaric oxygen room or chamber is located.
Last updated February 23, 2022 at 2:51 PM