Section 4731.72 | Physician's bill for anatomical pathology services.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Anatomic pathology services," "assignment of benefits," "histologic processing," "insurer," "physician," and "referring clinical laboratory" have the same meanings as in section 3701.86 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Professional component of an anatomic pathology service" means the entire anatomic pathology service other than histologic processing.
(3) "Technical component of an anatomic pathology service" means only histologic processing.
(B) No physician shall present or cause to be presented a claim, bill, or demand for payment for anatomic pathology services to any person or entity other than the following:
(1) The patient who receives the services or another individual, such as a parent, spouse, or guardian, who is responsible for the patient's bills;
(2) A responsible insurer or other third-party payor of a patient who receives the services;
(3) A hospital, public health clinic, or not-for-profit health clinic ordering the services;
(4) A referring clinical laboratory;
(5) A governmental agency or any person acting on behalf of a governmental agency;
(6) A physician who is permitted to bill for the services under division (D) of this section.
(C) Except as provided in division (D) of this section, no physician shall charge, bill, or otherwise solicit payment, directly or indirectly, for anatomic pathology services unless the services are personally rendered by the physician or rendered under the on-site supervision of the physician.
(D) A physician who performs the professional component of an anatomic pathology service on a patient specimen may bill for the amount incurred in doing either of the following:
(1) Having a clinical laboratory or another physician perform the technical component of the anatomic pathology service;
(2) Obtaining another physician's consultation regarding the patient specimen.
(E) A violation of division (B) or (C) of this section constitutes a reason for taking action under division (B)(20) of section 4731.22 of the Revised Code.
(F) Nothing in this section shall be construed to mandate the assignment of benefits for anatomic pathology services.