Section 4755.62 | License qualifications.
(A) No person shall claim to the public to be an athletic trainer or imply by words, actions, or letters that the person is an athletic trainer, or otherwise engage in the practice of athletic training, unless the person is licensed as an athletic trainer pursuant to this chapter.
(B) Except as otherwise provided in division (B) of section 4755.65 of the Revised Code, no educational institution, partnership, association, or corporation shall advertise or otherwise offer to provide or convey the impression that it is providing athletic training unless an individual licensed as an athletic trainer pursuant to this chapter is employed by, or under contract to, the educational institution, partnership, association, or corporation and will be performing the athletic training services to which reference is made.
(C) To qualify for an athletic trainers license, a person shall:
(1) Have satisfactorily completed an application for licensure in accordance with rules adopted by the athletic trainers section of the Ohio occupational therapy, physical therapy, and athletic trainers board under section 4755.61 of the Revised Code;
(2) Have paid the examination fee required under this section;
(3) Be of good moral character;
(4) Have shown, to the satisfaction of the athletic trainers section, that the applicant has received a baccalaureate or higher degree from an institution of higher education, approved by the athletic trainers section of the board and the federal regional accreditation agency and recognized by the council on postsecondary accreditation, and has satisfactorily completed the educational course work requirements established by rule of the athletic trainers section under section 4755.61 of the Revised Code.
(5) In addition to educational course work requirements, have obtained supervised clinical experience that meets the requirements established in rules adopted by the athletic trainers section under section 4755.61 of the Revised Code;
(6) Have passed an examination adopted by the athletic trainers section under division (A)(8) of section 4755.61 of the Revised Code. Each applicant for licensure shall pay, at the time of application, the nonrefundable examination fee set by the athletic trainers section.
(D) The section may waive the requirements of division (C) of this section for any applicant who presents proof of current licensure in another state whose standards for licensure, as determined by the section, are equal to or greater than those in effect in this state on the date of application.
(E) The section shall issue a license to every applicant who complies with the requirements of division (C) of this section, files the required application form, and pays the fees required by section 4755.61 of the Revised Code. A license issued under this section entitles the holder to engage in the practice of athletic training, claim to the public to be an athletic trainer, or to imply by words or letters that the licensee is an athletic trainer. Each licensee shall display the licensee's license in a conspicuous place at the licensee's principal place of employment.
Available Versions of this Section
- April 6, 2007 – Amended by House Bill 403 - 126th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2007 Version ]
- October 9, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 263 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 9, 2021 Version ]
- January 27, 2022 – Amended by House Bill 176 - 134th General Assembly [ View January 27, 2022 Version ]