Section 4783.02 | Certificate required; applicability of chapter.
(A) Except as otherwise provided in division (B) of this section, no person shall do either of the following:
(1) Engage in the practice of applied behavior analysis in this state without holding a certificate issued under section 4783.04 of the Revised Code;
(2) Hold the person's self out to be a certified Ohio behavior analyst unless the person holds a certificate issued under section 4783.04 of the Revised Code.
(B) This chapter does not apply to any of the following:
(1) An individual licensed under Chapter 4732. of the Revised Code to practice psychology, if the practice of applied behavior analysis engaged in by the licensed psychologist is within the licensed psychologist's education, training, and experience;
(2) An individual licensed under Chapter 4757. of the Revised Code to practice counseling, social work, or marriage and family therapy, if the practice of applied behavior analysis engaged in by the licensed professional counselor, licensed professional clinical counselor, licensed social worker, or licensed marriage and family therapist is within the licensee's education, training, and experience;
(3) An individual acting under the authority and direction of an individual described in division (B)(1) or (2) of this section;
(4) An individual practicing applied behavior analysis who is supervised by a certified Ohio behavior analyst and acting under the authority and direction of that certified Ohio behavior analyst;
(5) The delivery of interventions by a direct care provider or family member to implement components of an applied behavior analysis treatment plan.
(6) A behavior analyst who practices with nonhuman or nonpatient clients or consumers, including applied animal behaviorists and practitioners of organizational behavior management;
(7) A licensed professional authorized to practice in this state who, in the offering or rendering of services, does not represent oneself in any printed materials or verbally by incorporating the term "applied behavior analyst," if the services of the licensed professional are within the scope of practice of the licensing law governing the licensed professional and the services performed are commensurate with the licensed professional's education, training, and experience;
(8) A matriculated graduate student or postdoctoral trainee whose activities are part of a defined program of study or professional training;
(9) An individual employed by the department of developmental disabilities, a county board of developmental disabilities, or a council of government consisting of county boards of developmental disabilities, when the individual is acting in the scope of that employment;
(10) A professional employed in a school or other setting that falls under the regulation of the state board of education when the professional is acting within the scope of that employment.
(C) For purposes of division (B)(3) or (4) of this section, an individual is not subject to this chapter only if the licensed psychologist, the licensed professional counselor, the licensed professional clinical counselor, the licensed social worker, the licensed marriage and family therapist, or the certified Ohio behavior analyst under whose authority and direction the individual is acting pursuant to division (B)(3) or (4) of this section signs an attestation stating that the licensed psychologist, licensed professional counselor, licensed professional clinical counselor, licensed social worker, licensed marriage and family therapist, or certified Ohio behavior analyst is responsible for the care provided by the individual.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2014 – House Bill 59 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2014 Version ]