Section 4927.02 | State policy.
(A) It is the policy of this state to:
(1) Ensure the adequacy and reliability of basic local exchange service consistent with sections 4927.07, 4927.10, and 4927.11 of the Revised Code, and the adequacy and reliability of voice service throughout the state;
(2) Provide incentives for competing providers of telecommunications service to provide advanced, high-quality telecommunications service to citizens throughout the state;
(3) Rely primarily on market forces, where they exist, to maintain reasonable service levels for telecommunications services at reasonable rates;
(4) Encourage innovation in the telecommunications industry and the deployment of advanced telecommunications services;
(5) Create a regulatory climate that provides incentives to create and maintain high technology jobs for Ohioans;
(6) Promote diversity and options in the supply of telecommunications services and equipment throughout the state;
(7) Recognize the continuing emergence of a competitive telecommunications environment through flexible regulatory treatment of telecommunications services where appropriate;
(8) Consider the regulatory treatment of competing and functionally equivalent services and, to the extent practicable, provide for equivalent regulation of all telephone companies and services;
(9) Not unduly favor or advantage any provider and not unduly disadvantage providers of competing and functionally equivalent services;
(10) Protect the affordability of telephone service for low-income subscribers through the continuation of federal lifeline assistance programs ; and
(11) Allow and encourage competition and market forces to determine the availability, prices, terms, and other conditions of providing telecommunications services.
(B) The public utilities commission shall consider the policy set forth in this section in carrying out this chapter.