Skip to main content
Back To Top Top Back To Top
The Legislative Service Commission staff updates the Revised Code on an ongoing basis, as it completes its act review of enacted legislation. Updates may be slower during some times of the year, depending on the volume of enacted legislation.

Section 5139.08 | Agreements with other state agencies.


The department of youth services may enter into an agreement with the director of rehabilitation and correction pursuant to which the department of youth services, in accordance with division (C)(2) of section 5139.06 and section 5120.162 of the Revised Code, may transfer to a correctional medical center established by the department of rehabilitation and correction, children who are within its custody for diagnosis or treatment of an illness, physical condition, or other medical problem. The department of youth services may enter into any other agreements with the director of job and family services, the director of mental health and addiction services, the director of developmental disabilities, the director of rehabilitation and correction, with the courts having probation officers or other public officials, and with private agencies or institutions for separate care or special treatment of children subject to the control of the department of youth services. The department of youth services may, upon the request of a juvenile court not having a regular probation officer, provide probation services for such court.

Upon request by the department of youth services, any public agency or group care facility established or administered by the state for the care and treatment of children and youth shall, consistent with its functions, accept and care for any child whose custody is vested in the department in the same manner as it would be required to do if custody had been vested by a court in such agency or group care facility. If the department has reasonable grounds to believe that any child or youth whose custody is vested in it is mentally ill or has an intellectual disability, the department may file an affidavit under section 5122.11 or 5123.76 of the Revised Code. The department's affidavit for admission of a child or youth to such institution shall be filed with the probate court of the county from which the child was committed to the department. Such court may request the probate court of the county in which the child is held to conduct the hearing on the application, in which case the court making such request shall bear the expenses of the proceeding. If the department files such an affidavit, the child or youth may be kept in such institution until a final decision on the affidavit is made by the appropriate court.

Available Versions of this Section