Section 5703.70 | Refund application procedures.
(A) On the filing of an application for refund under section 718.91, 3734.905, 4307.05, 4307.07, 5726.30, 5727.28, 5727.91, 5728.061, 5733.12, 5735.122, 5735.13, 5735.14, 5735.141, 5735.142, 5735.18, 5736.08, 5739.07, 5739.071, 5739.104, 5741.10, 5743.05, 5743.53, 5747.11, 5749.08, 5751.08, or 5753.06 of the Revised Code, or an application for compensation under section 5739.061 of the Revised Code, if the tax commissioner determines that the amount of the refund or compensation to which the applicant is entitled is less than the amount claimed in the application, the commissioner shall give the applicant written notice by ordinary mail of the amount. The notice shall be sent to the address shown on the application unless the applicant notifies the commissioner of a different address. The applicant shall have sixty days from the date the commissioner mails the notice to provide additional information to the commissioner or request a hearing, or both.
(B) If the applicant neither requests a hearing nor provides additional information to the tax commissioner within the time prescribed by division (A) of this section, the commissioner shall take no further action, and the refund or compensation amount denied becomes final.
(C)(1) If the applicant requests a hearing within the time prescribed by division (A) of this section, the tax commissioner shall assign a time and place for the hearing and notify the applicant of such time and place, but the commissioner may continue the hearing from time to time as necessary. After the hearing, the commissioner may make such adjustments to the refund or compensation as the commissioner finds proper, and shall issue a final determination thereon.
(2) If the applicant does not request a hearing, but provides additional information, within the time prescribed by division (A) of this section, the commissioner shall review the information, make such adjustments to the refund or compensation as the commissioner finds proper, and issue a final determination thereon.
(3) The commissioner shall serve a copy of the final determination made under division (C)(1) or (2) of this section on the applicant in the manner provided in section 5703.37 of the Revised Code, and the decision is final, subject to appeal under section 5717.02 of the Revised Code.
(D) The tax commissioner shall certify to the director of budget and management and treasurer of state for payment from the tax refund fund created by section 5703.052 of the Revised Code, the amount of the refund to be refunded under division (B) or (C) of this section. The commissioner also shall certify to the director and treasurer of state for payment from the general revenue fund the amount of compensation to be paid under division (B) or (C) of this section.
Available Versions of this Section
- January 1, 2010 – House Bill 429, 127th General Assembly [ View January 1, 2010 Version ]
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59, 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- September 30, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 110, 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2021 Version ]