Section 731.17 | Passage of ordinances and resolutions.
(A) The following procedures shall apply to the passage of ordinances and resolutions of a municipal corporation:
(1) Each ordinance and resolution shall be read by title only, provided the legislative authority may require any reading to be in full by a majority vote of its members.
(2) Each ordinance or resolution shall be read on three different days, provided the legislative authority may dispense with this rule by a vote of at least three-fourths of its members.
(3) The vote on the passage of each ordinance or resolution shall be taken by yeas and nays and entered upon the journal.
(4) Each ordinance or resolution shall be passed, except as otherwise provided by law, by a vote of at least a majority of all the members of the legislative authority.
(B) Action by the legislative authority, not required by law to be by ordinance or resolution, may be taken by motion approved by at least a majority vote of the members present at the meeting when the action is taken.
Available Versions of this Section
- November 19, 1975 – House Bill 350, 111th General Assembly [ View November 19, 1975 Version ]