Section 749.08 | Management and control of hospitals by board.
(A) The board of hospital commissioners shall have the entire management and control of a hospital erected under sections 749.02 to 749.14 of the Revised Code, when completed and ready for use, and shall assume and continue the operation of the hospital. Subject to the ordinances of the legislative authority of the municipal corporation, the board shall establish rules for the hospital's government, and the admission of persons to its privileges, as are expedient.
(B) The board has control of the property of the hospital. The board's control of property includes acquiring, holding, possessing, managing, and disposing of real and personal property.
(C) The board may enter into contracts with any person or government entity. No member of the board shall be interested, directly or indirectly, in any contract concerning the hospital.
(D)(1) The board has control of all funds used in the hospital's operation, including moneys received from the operation of the hospital, moneys appropriated for its operation by the legislative authority of the municipal corporation, and moneys resulting from special levies submitted by the legislative authority for operation of the hospital. Of those funds, all or part of any amount determined not to be necessary to meet current demands on the hospital may be invested by the board or its designee in any classifications of securities and obligations eligible for deposit or investment of moneys pursuant to section 135.14 of the Revised Code, subject to the approval of the board's written investment policy by the legislative authority of the municipal corporation.
(2) Each disbursement of funds shall be made on a voucher signed by signatories designated and approved by the board.
(3) Unless an expenditure is first authorized by the board, no money shall be paid for any of the following:
(a) The erection, rebuilding, or repair of the hospital;
(b) An addition to the hospital;
(c) Supplies for the hospital;
(d) Replacement of necessary equipment for the hospital;
(e) Acquisition, leasing, or construction of permanent improvements to hospital property;
(f) Donations authorized under division (H) of this section;
(g) Any other use or purpose related to the hospital.
(E) For the use and benefit of the hospital, the board may take and hold in trust any grant or devise of land and any donation or bequest of money or other personal property.
(F) With respect to taking title to or a leasehold interest in property on behalf of the hospital, both of the following apply:
(1) The title to or leasehold interest in the property may be taken in the name of the board or an entity organized for charitable purposes that is under the board's control.
(2) If a transaction occurs or has occurred in which the title to or leasehold interest in the property was taken in the name of the legislative authority of the municipality, the title to or leasehold interest in the property may be conveyed to the board or an entity organized for charitable purposes that is under the board's control.
(G) When the legislative authority of a municipal corporation acquires property for purposes of the hospital, an easement may be acquired in the name of the board.
(H) For the public purpose of improving the health, safety, and general welfare of the community, the board of hospital commissioners may donate to a nonprofit entity any of the following:
(1) Moneys and other financial assets determined not to be necessary to meet current demands on the hospital;
(2) Surplus hospital property, including supplies, equipment, office facilities, and other property;
(3) Services rendered by the hospital.
Available Versions of this Section
- April 27, 2005 – Senate Bill 222 - 125th General Assembly [ View April 27, 2005 Version ]