As used in this chapter:
(A) "Accredited provider" means an entity that has received accreditation through a nationally recognized system. An accredited provider is authorized to plan, present and award contact hours for continuing education activities.
(B) "Approved provider unit" means an entity whose continuing education system has been approved by an OBN approver according to this chapter, or who has been approved by a national accrediting body to provide continuing education in a health care field. An approved provider unit is authorized to plan, present and award contact hours for continuing education activities.
(C) "Asynchronous learning" means forms of education, instruction and learning that do not occur in the same space or at the same time.
(D) "Blended learning" is a combination of independent study materials and faculty directed education.
(E) "Category A" means the portion of continuing education that meets the one hour requirement directly related to Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code and the rules of the board as described in rule 4723-14-03 of the Administrative Code. To qualify as category A, the continuing education must be approved by the board, an OBN approver, or offered by an OBN approved provider unit headquartered in the state of Ohio.
(F) "Commercial interest entity" means an entity that produces, markets, re-sells or distributes health care goods or services consumed by or used on patients, or that is owned or controlled by an entity that produces, markets, re-sells or distributes health care goods or services consumed by, or used on patients.
(G) "Commercial support" means monetary or in-kind contributions given to the provider, or approved provider unit of a continuing education activity by a commercial interest entity that is used to pay for all or part of the costs of a continuing education activity.
(H) "Conflict of interest" means the financial relationship with a commercial interest entity on the part of any person able to control the content of the educational activity if the products of the commercial interest are related to the topic of the education.
(I) "Contact hour" means sixty minutes of continuing education.
(J) "Continuing education" means a learning activity that builds upon a prelicensure or precertification education program and enables a licensee or certificate holder to acquire or improve knowledge or skills that promote professional or technical development to enhance the licensee's or certificate holder's contribution to quality health care and pursuit of health care career goals according to rule 4723-14-05 of the Administrative Code.
(1) "Faculty-directed continuing education activity" means a continuing education activity in which faculty facilitate the pace and content of the activity, and the activity is one for which contact hours may be awarded. The activity may occur in settings such as a classroom, on-line, or via teleconference provided that one or more individuals is facilitating the pace of the activity.
(2) "Independent study continuing education activity" means a self-paced learning activity for which contact hours may be awarded that includes both a mechanism for evaluation of learning and feedback to the learner.
(3) "Interprofessional continuing education" means a planned, organized learning experience designed for a target audience made up of members of two or more different professions.
(K) "Entity means a corporation, whether for profit or nonprofit, a partnership, a limited liability company, or an unincorporated society or association, but does not include a natural person.
(L) "Marketing" means the process of promoting, selling and distributing a product or service. It includes advertising, selling and delivering products.
(M) "OBN" means the Ohio board of nursing.
(N) "OBN approver" means an approver of continuing education, headquartered in the state of Ohio, that has successfully completed the approval or reapproval process set forth in rules 4723-14-09 and 4723-14-10 of the Administrative Code.
(O) "Outcome-based education" means education focused on educational experiences leading to learning, learner confidence and ultimately, improvements in practice and patient care.
(P) "Planned learning activity" means an educational experience which meets the requirements of this chapter and that may include interprofessional continuing education.
(Q) "Proof of completion of continuing education" means a document or other verification that is issued by a continuing education provider as evidence of successful completion of a continuing education activity, and that meets the requirements set forth in rule 4723-14-06 of the Administrative Code.
(R) "Provider" means an entity that has received approval to plan and present faculty-directed or independent study continuing education activities.
(S) "Reactivate" means to change the status of a license or certificate from inactive to active.
(T) "Reinstate" means to change the status of a license or certificate from lapsed or suspended to reinstated.
(U) "Reporting period" or "renewal period" means:
(1) For a licensed practical nurse, November first through October thirty-first in the even numbered years;
(2) For a registered nurse, November first through October thirty-first in the odd numbered years;
(3) For an advanced practice registered nurse, November first through October thirty-first in the odd numbered years;
(4) For an Ohio certified dialysis technician, April first through March thirty-first in the odd numbered years;
(5) For a certified community health worker, April first through March thirty-first in the odd numbered years;
(6) For a certified medication aide, the renewal period as specified in Chapter 4723-27 of the Administrative Code.
(V) "Synchronous learning" means forms of education, instruction and learning that occur at the same time.
(W) "Waiver" means a one-time exception from meeting the continuing education requirement set forth in section 4723.24 of the Revised Code and rules 4723-8-10, 4723-14-03, 4723-23-06, and 4723-26-05 of the Administrative Code.