Section 3119.023 | Review of basic child support schedule.
(A) At least once every four years, the department of job and family services shall review the basic child support schedule issued by the department pursuant to section 3119.021 of the Revised Code to determine whether child support orders issued in accordance with that schedule and the worksheets created under rules adopted under section 3119.022 of the Revised Code adequately provide for the needs of children who are subject to the child support orders. The department may consider the adequacy and appropriateness of the current schedule, whether there are substantial and permanent changes in household consumption and savings patterns, particularly those resulting in substantial and permanent changes in the per cent of total household expenditures on children, and whether there have been substantial and permanent changes to the federal and state income tax code other than inflationary adjustments to such things as the exemption amount and income tax brackets, and other factors when conducting its review. The review is in addition to, and independent of, any schedule update completed as set forth in section 3119.021 of the Revised Code. The department shall prepare a report of its review and include recommendations for statutory changes, and submit a copy of the report to both houses of the general assembly.
(B) For each review, the department shall establish a child support guideline advisory council to assist the department in the completion of its reviews and reports. Each council shall be composed of:
(3) Judges of courts of common pleas who have jurisdiction over domestic relations and juvenile court cases that involve the determination of child support;
(4) Attorneys whose practice includes a significant number of domestic relations or juvenile court cases that involve the determination of child support;
(5) Representatives of child support enforcement agencies;
(6) Other persons interested in the welfare of children;
(7) Three members of the senate appointed by the president of the senate, not more than two of whom are members of the same political party; and
(8) Three members of the house of representatives appointed by the speaker of the house, not more than two of whom are members of the same political party.
(C) The department shall consider input from the council prior to the completion of any report under this section. The department shall submit its report on or before the first day of March of every fourth year after 2015.
(D) The advisory council shall cease to exist at the time that the department submits its review to the general assembly under this section.
(E) Any expenses incurred by an advisory council shall be paid by the department.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 28, 2019 – House Bill 366 - 132nd General Assembly [ View March 28, 2019 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]