Section 3701.85 | Automated external defibrillator - requirements for use.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Automated external defibrillation" has the same meaning as in section 2305.235 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Emergency medical services organization" has the same meaning as in section 4765.01 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Emergency medical service provider" means a person who is an "emergency medical technician-basic," "emergency medical technician-intermediate," "emergency medical technician-paramedic," or "first responder" as defined in section 4765.01 of the Revised Code.
(4) "Physician" has the same meaning as in section 4765.01 of the Revised Code.
(5) "Registered nurse" and "licensed practical nurse" have the same meanings as in section 4723.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) A person who possesses an automated external defibrillator shall do all of the following:
(1) Require expected users to complete successfully a course in automated external defibrillation and cardiopulmonary resuscitation that is offered or approved by the American heart association or another nationally recognized organization;
(2) Maintain and test the defibrillator according to the manufacturer's guidelines;
(3) Consult with a physician regarding compliance with the requirements of divisions (B)(1) and (2) of this section.
(C) A person who possesses an automated external defibrillator may notify an emergency medical services organization of the location of the defibrillator.
(D) A person who has obtained appropriate training on how to perform automated external defibrillation and has successfully completed a course in cardiopulmonary resuscitation may perform automated external defibrillation, regardless of whether the person is a physician, registered nurse, licensed practical nurse, or emergency medical service provider. When automated external defibrillation is not performed as part of an emergency medical services system or at a hospital as defined in section 3727.01 of the Revised Code, an emergency medical services system shall be activated as soon as possible.