Section 3705.07 | Keeping and transmitting records by local registrar.
(A) The local registrar of vital statistics shall number consecutively each fetal death and death certificate printed on paper that the local registrar receives from the electronic death registration system (EDRS) maintained by the department of health. The number assigned to each certificate shall be the one provided by EDRS. Such local registrar shall sign the local registrar's name in attest to the date of filing in the local office. The local registrar shall make a complete and accurate copy of each fetal death and death certificate printed on paper that is filed. Each paper copy shall be filed and preserved as the local record until the electronic information regarding the event has been completed and made available in EDRS and EDRS is capable of issuing a complete and accurate electronic copy of the certificate. The local record may be a photographic, electronic, or other reproduction. The local registrar shall transmit to the state office of vital statistics all original fetal death and death certificates received using the state transmittal schedule specified by the department of health. The local registrar shall immediately notify the health commissioner with jurisdiction in the registration district of the receipt of a death certificate attesting that death resulted from a communicable disease.
The office of vital statistics shall carefully examine the records and certificates received from local registrars of vital statistics and shall secure any further information that may be necessary to make each record and certificate complete and satisfactory. It shall arrange and preserve the records and certificates, or reproductions of them produced pursuant to section 3705.03 of the Revised Code, in a systematic manner and shall maintain a permanent index of all births, fetal deaths, and deaths registered, which shall show the name of the child or deceased person, place and date of birth or death, and number of the certificate.
(B)(1) The office of vital statistics shall make available all social security numbers that accompany a birth certificate submitted for filing under division (H) of section 3705.09 or section 3705.10 of the Revised Code or that accompany a death certificate registered under section 3705.16 of the Revised Code to both of the following:
(a) For the purpose of child support enforcement, the division of child support in the department of job and family services;
(b) For the purpose of eligibility determinations for medical assistance programs as defined in section 5160.01 of the Revised Code, the department of medicaid.
(2) The office of vital statistics also shall make available to the division of child support in the department of job and family services any other information recorded in the birth record that may enable the division to use the social security numbers provided under division (B)(1) of this section to obtain the location of the father of the child whose birth certificate was accompanied by the social security number or to otherwise enforce a child support order pertaining to that child or any other child.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 1, 2000 – House Bill 471, 123rd General Assembly [ View July 1, 2000 Version ]
- March 20, 2015 – Senate Bill 23, 130th General Assembly [ View March 20, 2015 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]