Section 3727.60 | Prohibitions for public hospitals regarding nontherapeutic abortions.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Ambulatory surgical facility" has the same meaning as in section 3702.30 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Nontherapeutic abortion" has the same meaning as in section 9.04 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Political subdivision" means any body corporate and politic that is responsible for governmental activities in a geographic area smaller than the state.
(4) "Public hospital" means a hospital registered with the department of health under section 3701.07 of the Revised Code that is owned, leased, or controlled by this state or any agency, institution, instrumentality, or political subdivision of this state. "Public hospital" includes any state university hospital, state medical college hospital, joint hospital, or public hospital agency.
(5) "Written transfer agreement" means an agreement described in section 3702.303 of the Revised Code.
(B) No public hospital shall do either of the following:
(1) Enter into a written transfer agreement with an ambulatory surgical facility in which nontherapeutic abortions are performed or induced;
(2) Authorize a physician who has been granted staff membership or professional privileges at the public hospital to use that membership or those privileges as a substitution for, or alternative to, a written transfer agreement for purposes of a variance application described in section 3702.304 of the Revised Code that is submitted to the director of health by an ambulatory surgical facility in which nontherapeutic abortions are performed or induced.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59 - 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]