Section 4729.291 | Drugs personally furnished by prescriber.
(A) Except when provided under section 4731.97 of the Revised Code, when a licensed health professional authorized to prescribe drugs personally furnishes drugs to a patient pursuant to division (B) of section 4729.29 of the Revised Code, the prescriber shall ensure that the drugs are labeled and packaged in accordance with state and federal drug laws and any rules and regulations adopted pursuant to those laws. Records of purchase and disposition of all drugs personally furnished to patients shall be maintained by the prescriber in accordance with state and federal drug statutes and any rules adopted pursuant to those statutes.
(C)(1) Except as provided in divisions (D) and (E) of this section, no prescriber shall do either of the following:
(a) In any thirty-day period, personally furnish to or for patients, taken as a whole, controlled substances in an amount that exceeds a total of two thousand five hundred dosage units;
(b) In any seventy-two-hour period, personally furnish to or for a patient an amount of a controlled substance that exceeds the amount necessary for the patient's use in a seventy-two-hour period.
(2) The state board of pharmacy may impose a fine of not more than five thousand dollars on a prescriber who fails to comply with the limits established under division (C)(1) of this section. A separate fine may be imposed for each instance of failing to comply with the limits. In imposing the fine, the board's actions shall be taken in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(D) None of the following shall be counted in determining whether the amounts specified in division (C)(1) of this section have been exceeded:
(1) Methadone personally furnished to patients for the purpose of treating drug dependence or addiction, if the prescriber meets the conditions specified in 21 C.F.R. 1306.07;
(2) Buprenorphine personally furnished to patients for the purpose of treating drug dependence or addiction as part of an opioid treatment program licensed under section 5119.37 of the Revised Code.
(3) Controlled substances personally furnished to research subjects by a facility conducting clinical research in studies approved by a hospital-based institutional review board or an institutional review board accredited by the association for the accreditation of human research protection programs.
(E) Division (C)(1) of this section does not apply to a prescriber who is a veterinarian.
Available Versions of this Section
- March 13, 2013 – Senate Bill 301, 129th General Assembly [ View March 13, 2013 Version ]
- March 23, 2015 – House Bill 367, 130th General Assembly [ View March 23, 2015 Version ]
- July 16, 2015 – Amended by House Bill 4, 131st General Assembly [ View July 16, 2015 Version ]
- April 6, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 290, Senate Bill 319, 131st General Assembly [ View April 6, 2017 Version ]
- June 29, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 111, 132nd General Assembly [ View June 29, 2019 Version ]
- April 12, 2021 – Amended by Senate Bill 260, 133rd General Assembly [ View April 12, 2021 Version ]