Section 4731.19 | License to practice a limited branch of medicine.
(A) A person seeking a license to practice the limited branch of medicine of massage therapy shall file with the state medical board an application in a manner prescribed by the board. The application shall include or be accompanied by all of the following:
(1) Evidence that the applicant is at least eighteen years of age;
(2) Evidence that the applicant has attained high school graduation or its equivalent;
(3) Evidence that the applicant holds one of the following:
(a) A diploma or certificate from a school, college, or institution in good standing as determined by the board in accordance with rules adopted under section 4731.05 of the Revised Code, showing the completion of a course of instruction in massage therapy of at least six hundred clock hours.
(b) A diploma or certificate from a school, college, or institution in another state or jurisdiction meeting standards determined by the board through rules adopted under section 4731.05 of the Revised Code, that require the completion of a course of instruction in massage therapy of at least six hundred clock hours;
(c) During the five-year period immediately preceding the date of application, a current license, registration, or certificate in good standing in another state for massage therapy.
(4) Evidence that the applicant has successfully passed an examination, prescribed in rules described in section 4731.16 of the Revised Code, to determine competency to practice massage therapy;
(5) An attestation that the information submitted under this section is accurate and truthful and that the applicant consents to release of information;
(6) Any other information the board requires.
(B) An applicant for a license to practice massage therapy shall comply with the requirements of section 4731.171 of the Revised Code.
(C) At the time of making application for a license to practice massage therapy, the applicant shall pay to the board a fee of one hundred fifty dollars, no part of which shall be returned. No application shall be considered filed until the board receives the appropriate fee.
(D) The board may investigate the application materials received under this section and contact any agency or organization for recommendations or other information about the applicant.
Last updated March 9, 2023 at 4:02 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 6, 2012 – House Bill 292 - 129th General Assembly [ View September 6, 2012 Version ]
- September 28, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 111 - 132nd General Assembly [ View September 28, 2018 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]
- April 12, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 442 - 133rd General Assembly [ View April 12, 2021 Version ]
- October 9, 2021 – Amended by House Bill 263, House Bill 442 - 133rd General Assembly [ View October 9, 2021 Version ]
- April 6, 2023 – Amended by House Bill 509 - 134th General Assembly [ View April 6, 2023 Version ]
- December 29, 2023 – Amended by Senate Bill 131 (GA 134), House Bill 509 (GA 134) [ View December 29, 2023 Version ]